MR16 lamps

I have a light fitting - bars with slidable lampholders - powered from a circular transformer.Torroidal?

I changed one halogen for a LED. Can I continue to change all 4 - or will this cause problems due the reduced load on the transformer?

Reply to
John

The toroidal output voltage will rise a bit if they're all changed. That will affect LED life expectancy to some degree - it's still going to be cheaper to run than halogens though. You may want to avoid cheapskate on the edge lamps, they would be harder hit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Should be fine

I'd be less happy about an electronic transformer

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it does not work is usually quite easy to swap the transformer.

Reply to
ARW

It really depends on how efficient the transformer is, if its pretty good then inefficiencies should be low and the rise in volts minimal. Does the transformer get very warm when driving all halogens? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think his issue is of possibly overdriving the leds. Depends very much on the quality of both items. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:qke7f7$pma$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Brian - I don't know. I guess I could take out 3 halogens and see if the only LED I currently have survives.

Reply to
John

No possibility, it's a certainty. Quality, not really.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Electronic ones generally work if you leave one halogen in the set.

One I had worked fine with only LEDs for over 12 months and then started flashing the whole lot on and off. Two different replacements units flashed too. One halogen in the set and all worked fine again.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I had a set of 4 halogens (200W total) running from a large toroidal transformer and replaced with LEDs around 2.5 years ago. I've seen no problems with the operation or longevity of the LEDs so far. The MR16 are fitted in small clamps attached to a pair of suspended wires and therefore are totally in free air which provides better ventilation than the same if fitted into enclosed lamp holders.

Reply to
alan_m