Unscrewing downlighter in shower

I've got a halogen downlighter in the shower at my rented house. The bulb's blown and while I never use the shower I'm sure the landlord would like me to replace it. The problem is that the glass lens/cover on this light has resisted all my attempts to unscrew/remove it.

Any hints on how the "persuade" it?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Maybe it does not unscrew.

Some downlighters (usually the shower rated ones) often need to be physically pulled down from the ceiling as the bulb is changed from behind.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , at 15:19:02 on Sun, 12 Feb

2012, ARWadsworth remarked:

I'll give that a go, but the one I installed (as an owner-occupier) in my last house was an 'unscrew' type.

I suppose another option is to go up into the attic and attack it from that direction.

Reply to
Roland Perry

That is one method I have used where the ceilings are old lathe and plaster and pulling the lightfitting down would have damaged the ceiling

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , at 15:29:41 on Sun, 12 Feb

2012, ARWadsworth remarked:

This is a 1970's house with plasterboard ceilings, but I have a suspicion that the bit of the attic in question has been [chip-]boarded over. If the lease prevents me from interfering with that, we may have a stalemate.

Reply to
Roland Perry

If you cant open it its the landlord's problem. I wouldnt try and force it, or it becomes your problem.

NT

Reply to
NT

I think the next step is to take a look in the loft to see whether the device is designed to be accessed from above. Until you know that the brute strength and ignorance approach is probably not advisable.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Brute strength and ignorance approach?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Brute strength and ignorance approach?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

If you mean you can't grip it, put a tight band of self-amalg tape around it and then try.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

In message , at 17:07:31 on Sun, 12 Feb

2012, Bill Wright remarked:

Sounds like the sort of thing I had in mind. Unfortunately I don't have any. I wonder if Duck-Tape[tm] would work?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Try turning it whilst wearing dry marigolds.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

En el artículo , Bill Wright escribió:

Rubber gloves (aka Marigolds) work as well. They're useful for getting flush-fit GU10 bulbs out of the fitting. Just use two fingers in a twisting motion.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , at 08:38:18 on Mon, 13 Feb

2012, Mike Tomlinson remarked:

Sounds like a good idea, but didn't work. I'll wait until I'm next in the attic and have a look from the top then.

I've got a suction-cup tool for that (came with a GU10 light fitting in my previous house). What's frustrating about changing bulbs in an 'inherited' fitting is you don't even know how it's *supposed* to come apart.

Reply to
Roland Perry