Replacement hot water cylinder

Hello all,

I'm thinking of replacing my elderly copper cylinder, and came across the Albion Superduty cylinder

anyone have any experience of these? I'm very happy to pay the price premium if they're half as good as claimed, as well as saving space in the airing cupboard.

mike

Reply to
mike ring

One of my neighbours has one. Very good.

I would check the boiler and its capacity before going for a smaller size.

The argument behind space saving is that you can put more heat in than with a conventional cylinder and that you are replenishing heat as you are using it. This is true, but if you do the sums on the energy required if you are used to drawing off a bath quickly or having a long shower, then be a bit careful that you don't go too small with the cylinder size.

In the end case, when all the stored water is used up and you are relying on the instantaneous heat from the boiler, the water is likely to become rather cooler than normal or you have to reduce the flow rate.

The point is that even with a very effective heat exchange such as this, you will still be taking energy out faster than it is going in in most cases. It could be as much as 2:1

It does depend on your usage pattern, but it would probably be unwise to go to less than 75% of the current capacity without doing the sums carefully.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall