Replace parts of a wood window

Hi I have 3 windows that have I need to alter. I wish to remove the existing windowframe and install new frames with an opening at the top. I can remove the existing window without any damage to the main frame but do not know what to do next. could anyone advise on the best way to accomplish this.

-------------- | ----------- | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | ----------- | ---------------

Existing window frame internal frame can be removed

-------------- ||-----------|| < opening ||___________|| |-------------| < new bar | | | | | | ---------------

Reply to
Kris

Not completely with you here Kris. (?) You need to replace the whole window casement ? Or is it just the sashes that hold the glass ?

How old are the windows ? Do they have lift out fillets and hinges for cleaning purposes ?

Reply to
BigWallop

Just the sashes, it fills the whole window space.

They are screwed infrom the inside.

Reply to
Kris

Ah Ha !!! So the whole window is a dead pane of glass and doesn't open ?

If it is, then just take the glass out and fit a matching astricle in the position you want your opening pane to be. You might even get away with having the exsiting glass cut down to size and re-use it.

But you don't need to take the whole thing out, just the glass. You then cut the frame where the glass sits in and fix a new piece of timber across where you want the opening pane to be. Get the big piece of existing glass cut down to size and re-use it.

BigWallop

I'd check the price of a new window first. If you're close to a stock size, it would probably be less hassle to go right back to the brickwork and replace the lot.

Reply to
stuart noble

"stuart noble"

Reply to