Replace parts of a wood window

Hi I have 3 windows that have I need to alter. I wish to remove the existing windowframe and install new frames with an opening at the top. I can remove the existing window without any damage to the main frame but do not know what to do next. could anyone advise on the best way to accomplish this.
-------------- | ----------- | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | ----------- | ---------------
Existing window frame internal frame can be removed
-------------- ||-----------|| < opening ||___________|| |-------------| < new bar | | | | | | ---------------

Not completely with you here Kris. (?) You need to replace the whole window casement ? Or is it just the sashes that hold the glass ?
How old are the windows ? Do they have lift out fillets and hinges for cleaning purposes ?
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Just the sashes, it fills the whole window space.

They are screwed infrom the inside.

Ah Ha !!! So the whole window is a dead pane of glass and doesn't open ?
If it is, then just take the glass out and fit a matching astricle in the position you want your opening pane to be. You might even get away with having the exsiting glass cut down to size and re-use it.

But you don't need to take the whole thing out, just the glass. You then cut the frame where the glass sits in and fix a new piece of timber across where you want the opening pane to be. Get the big piece of existing glass cut down to size and re-use it.
http://www.blindcraft.co.uk/windows.html
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop wrote in message ...

it would probably be less hassle to go right back to the brickwork and replace the lot.

to cut old glass. You might want to try doing it yourself but by the time you have taken it out and cut it you could have fitted an off the shelf ready glazed unit.
Just put some sheet on the outside to aid picking up the pieces and smash the glass out. Saw through the wood with your worst saw. Or if you are a total newbie a sharp one that won't cut straight -if you have a selection of old saws.
(The definition varies by trades and experience but generally; a good saw is one some kid "helping" you hasn't trodden on and still has all the ink printing on the blade. A sharp but less than perfect one has a lot of the ink and a crappy saw is one that has very little ink on it. Anything else is in the bin. Never buy saws that are unprotected on display racks as the metal supports damage the teeth and set.)
I always buy blue handled Sandviks or Bacho as they are now. Jacksaws are good too. But I don't like them.