Replace lock barrels with thumbscrews?

I'd prefer thumbscrews on the inside of my patio doors. Mainly because you can't use a key on the outside if there is still a key on the inside.

Is it possible to fit thumbscrews to the existing, or do I need to replace the barrel?

Reply to
R D S

Do you mean patio? Or dungeon?

Reply to
polygonum

I assume you are talking about standard eurolocks, in which case I think you will need to replace the barrel (not expensive or difficult).

The police will say *never* have thumbscrews, the fire brigade say

*always* have them.
Reply to
newshound

On Sunday 11 August 2013 22:56 newshound wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I have opted for thumbscrews on a new rear door and again in the conservatory to which that door leads.

Reasoning:

1) We can escape in a fire (esp kids whose bedromms are next to that door);

2) OK - someone might reach in a window with a tool and operate the conservatory thumbscrew - but will will have nothing of much value there;

3) There are no windows within reach of the rear door. To operate the thumbscrew would require breaking a full door size DG glass unit. In which case, they could walk through the hole!
Reply to
Tim Watts

I think you all mean thumb*turns*.

If it's a Euro cylinder then they can be obtained easily with key one side and thumbturn the other. Eg

(Screwfix item code 99334 if the link doesn't work).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The crime prevention officer will soon change his mind if you can't find the key when he's about to leave.

Reply to
Graham.

You can obtain replacement Euro cylinders with keys inside and out where inserting a key from one side works even if there is a key in the other side - "clutch cam" seems to find them. There is also another version which only works that way from one side, so you have to install them the right way round

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Its not that simple..

thumb turns provide a quick and easy escape route for a burglar. This encourages them to find a way in, not necessaraly via the door. It also makes getting the loot out easier than passing 42" TVs through windows.

Reply to
dennis

You can get thumb turns which have a push and click piston to add extra security.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Monday 12 August 2013 07:53 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It's simple to me - fire escape trumps burglary.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Check your house insurance many have small print that the key must be more than 3 feet from a window at night, having a device that can open the door may invalidate your insurance.

Reply to
ss

In message , at 08:58:14 on Mon, 12 Aug

2013, ss remarked:

Would that be 3ft from a window that opens? Or does a fixed pane of glass qualify. If it's openable windows, would that sort of insurance also require that window locks were fitted *and active* ?

If the objective is to stop a burglar exiting with booty, then it's no good if the key is 3ft 1 inch away and findable from the inside.

Reply to
Roland Perry

On Monday 12 August 2013 07:53 dennis@home wrote in uk.d-i-y:

+1.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

I believe its to do with smashing a window and reaching in for the keys to gain access.

Reply to
ss

I find it quite amazing, that when I knock on a customers door, how many of them start ferreting about for keys, sometimes a couple of minutes.

People have no idea just how fast a room can become full of smoke.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've got a wife and three young children. The key stays in the lock at night, so we can get out in case of a fire - I've been in a house fire once and I'm not taking chances.

Anyway if it's to do with smashing a window to get the keys to gain entry, why should it matter? You must be in if the keys are there!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Presumably the thieves never have access to a fishing rod / grabber longer than three feet long?

Reply to
The Other Mike

I never felt comfortable leaving the key in the lock. You need to be careful to ensure you don't engage it slightly which prevents anyone from opening the door from the outside. I always worried in case my wife had a fall when I was out, and a keyholder couldn't get in.

I'm curious as to how the entire population appears to have been happy to completely change the way front doors lock without a murmur. ISTM we have lost an essential part of the way Yale locks worked, which was to allow a front door to be closed *and* locked without needing a key.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message , at 08:54:00 on Tue, 13 Aug

2013, Jethro_uk remarked:

Is the inability to have keys fully inserted on both sides a bug or a feature?

Not everyone is quite so happy. I would be extremely unhappy to buy a house that didn't have a "Yale" type lock on the front door. The "plastic conservatory" type doors which seem to go with Euro-cyclinder locks are much more prone to going wrong, as well as looking hideous.

The only advantage is that it's virtually impossible to lock yourself out. On the other hand, if you have visitors/guests staying with you, they can't leave and lock the door behind them unless issued with a key.

Reply to
Roland Perry

On 13/08/2013 10:03, Roland Perry wrote: .

Many uPVC doors with Euro cylinder locks can & do lock you out.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman