Repair an Etch-a-Sketch

One of the control on my children's Etch-a-Sketch is broken - the knob rotates, but I can feel that it's not connected to anything.

I'm sure it's simple to repair, but it's going to be difficult to get in without breaking it.

It has one of those 1970s plastic item constructions, with the front and back halves thoroughly affixed together, presumably with some kind of cement that has welded them together.

In my experience of such things, trying to separate the halves invariably seems to result in breaking something irreparably.

Any suggestions on how to proceed for the least damage?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

"D.M. Procida" wrote in message news:1jv7i97.1bh8tu5n4xevtN% snipped-for-privacy@apple-juice.co.uk...

£12 at amazon -
brass monkey

A sharp triming knife blade, patience and not forcing anything too much can normally get most things open without excessive damage. Close examination and probing may well find a weak spot in the join into which you can work the trimming knife blade. After that working the blade slowly along the join with twisting action to open the joint, not cut through, should get it apart. You may have to work from several weak spots.

The recent new retro-copies of these classic toys are never as well made as the orginals.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have visions of that sticky silver dust (whatever it is) going everywhere...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Powdered mercury, probably. Or asbestos.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

And a bloody gash in your hand leaving blood as well as the silver dust all over your carpet.

Reply to
John

And a bloody gash in your hand leaving blood as well as the silver dust all over your carpet.

Reply to
John

And a bloody gash in your hand leaving blood as well as the silver dust all over your carpet.

Reply to
John

Sorry - PC / Server problem

Reply to
John

Trouble with the photocopier in the Tardis again?

Reply to
Skipweasel

I thought you were predicting the number of gashes ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

In a word, don't. I think it's powdered aluminium inside but it spreads and sticks to everything like fingerprinting powder. Even if you do get it open, you'll be lucky to get it well sealed again and reasonably proof against bursting open if it's dropped.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie