Rennovation once over

Hi all,

I'm planning on looking at a renovation project this weekend and not sure who I should take along for advice.

Personally I'd say it was a moderate rennovation from what I've found so far ie. requires full set of windows/doors, new heating/hot water system, insulation all round walls, floors, roof and a complete decoration but structure appears to be reasonably sound. It's a repossession so am expecting damage and/or cosmetic issues.

Obviously in the longer term a full structural survey will be completed but I don't want to spend oodles of money without a initial sucking of teeth from someone and a ball park figure of costs to rennovate.

So who should I take along with me?

A builder for pricing? An architect for planning and/or pricing? A surveyor for any issues plus pricing or planning?

Thoughts?

Thank you,

Brad

Reply to
bradsalmon

new set of windows and doors = 3 - 5K, depending on how many, what styles etc new boiler and CH/HW system = 2 - 4K insulation to outer walls = 4 - 600 (CWI injection)

I've no idea what you mean 'foors, roof'.....new roof will be approx 3K, if you just mean you want it insulated, about a tenth of that....if you choose to have solid floors ripped up downstairs and insulated underneath, this will be fairly expensive, and you'll never recoup the cost in saved heat.

Decor for full house, approx 2 - 2.5K

But don't forget to add on plastering work, plus a large chunk for unforseen work that *will* be required.

The only one you've mentioned who is capable of giving you a price is a builder - the others work on prices out of a book, which is usually 2 - 300% higher than in reality.

Reply to
Phil L

Prices depend who you get to do the work. Joe the handyman and the type of people insurance companies use are very different, the latter is a lot more money.

Agreed, builder is the relevant one there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222