Removing wall lights

Hi,
In our dining room we have some wall lights but the previous owner of the house took the light fittings with them so all we have is the wires coming out of the wall. I'm about to start decorating the room and we have decided to do away with the lights altogether. Should I remove the wires completely then just repair the damage to the wall or can I just cut the wires back and plaster over the wire? Presumably I woould have to disconnect the wire from the light switch too. The light switch actualy has three lights connected to it as it also controls the main dining room and hall lights. Presumably if the wire is isolated then it cannot cause a problem.
Thanks for any advice.
Andy
I'd be tempted to do whatever gives the most options for the future.
Regards, Steve
--
Jack of all trades, master of some

"Andy Coleman" wrote | In our dining room we have some wall lights but the previous owner | of the house took the light fittings with them so all we have is | the wires coming out of the wall. I'm about to start decorating | the room and we have decided to do away with the lights altogether. | Should I remove the wires completely then just repair the damage to | the wall or can I just cut the wires back and plaster over the wire?
If the wall lights were retro fitted by the previous occupants you may well find a junction box or wiring under a loose floorboard in the bedroom above, which will be a convenient place to disconnect the wire.
The wires in the wall *must* be isolated and properly taped off at their source.
Owain

I would not plaster over the wall light cable with just the live disconnected at the switch, find out where the neutral is connected into the lighting circuit and disconnect the wall lights there as well as at the switch. Then you can plaster over the exposed cable.
Adam