Removing scratch from mirror

Can anyone advise me on the best method for removing a scratch from a mirror - or whether it's even possible?
The mirror in question is vey heavy, around 4ft x 3ft (hence my reluctance to replace it) and has a scratch about six inches long. It isn't very deep at all, but (typically) is right in the middle where it's most noticeable.
I'm prepared for a lot of polishing, but don't know the best method to use.
Any help would be gratefully received...
Nige

Try a local car windscreen place - they fill chips in windscreens with an epoxy that has the same refractive index as windscreen glass so theorectically it should work - but your mileage may differ !
Andrew Mawson

Jewellers rouge, or Brasso/Duraglit.
--
AnneJ