Removing rag roll effect

Second problem of the day...
My hall, stairs and landing have all be rag roll painted. Some of the "lumps" of paint are quick thick. I wish to remove this effect so that the when I paint the walls they will be smooth. I have considered the following options and hopefully someone can advise me on what's best - or an alternative.
- Sanding the walls. I believe that the paint will probably clog the sand paper - or is there a better way to sand them possibly with some sort of machine, or a sand paper designed for this task?
- Steam the walls in an attempt to soften the lumps of paint and then use a scraper to remove them.
Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance for any help.
CM.
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:37:18 +0000 (UTC), Charles Middleton wrote:

Why do people do this? *shakes head*
In our last place, it was done to every room, just had to bite the bullet and paint over it and pretend it was anaglypta.
Regards, Steve
Long shot ... how about Lining paper?
Regards, Steve

I'd rather just have painted surfaces.
Thanks for the idea though :)
Charles Middleton wrote:

I would use a (cheap) orbital sander and "paint removal" sandpaper. Plug a vacuum cleaner in for dust extraction if possible, and you might find a wire brush handy for unclogging the "no-clog" paper.
--
Chris
-----

Presume I can get this paper from any DIY outlet?
CM.
Charles Middleton wrote:

I got some from B+Q. Fancy coated 3M stuff. Don't know how much better it is than simple AliOX paper, because they don't sell that!
--
Chris
-----

A skim would be all that is needed.
--
Chris French, Leeds

following
Check first to see if the paint effect has been applied to a lining or normal wall paper base. If it has been applied to paper then steam the paper off as per normal and then put another layer of lining paper up and do your paint job on top.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

The plaster board has been painted and then the rag roll has been applied to that.
If I use lining paper will the joins between the paper be noticable?
CM.
(Charles Middleton) wrote

I don't think they'd be noticable in the short term. My entire house was either papered or lining papered and i'm down to my last room for removal now after 6 months.
I'd never put the stuff (lining paper) back up again. When it's old it looks awful and you can't paint over the gaps.
This being said the plaster is in pretty good nick for a 1958 house. Couple of coats of Dulux Once [1] and it's like new .....
Cheers,
Paul.
[1] Yeh, I know. :-/