Removing rag roll effect

Second problem of the day...

My hall, stairs and landing have all be rag roll painted. Some of the "lumps" of paint are quick thick. I wish to remove this effect so that the when I paint the walls they will be smooth. I have considered the following options and hopefully someone can advise me on what's best - or an alternative.

- Sanding the walls. I believe that the paint will probably clog the sand paper - or is there a better way to sand them possibly with some sort of machine, or a sand paper designed for this task?

- Steam the walls in an attempt to soften the lumps of paint and then use a scraper to remove them.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

Why do people do this? *shakes head*

In our last place, it was done to every room, just had to bite the bullet and paint over it and pretend it was anaglypta.

Regards, Steve

Reply to
Ragworm The Abominable

Long shot ... how about Lining paper?

Regards, Steve

Reply to
Ragworm The Abominable

I would use a (cheap) orbital sander and "paint removal" sandpaper. Plug a vacuum cleaner in for dust extraction if possible, and you might find a wire brush handy for unclogging the "no-clog" paper.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Sir

Im my humble expereince, scraping pait off leaves lines where you get big layes off, and where you don't.

lining paper hides small blemishes but not bumps

sanding is a HUGE pile of work

Ripping the plaster off and getting an expert go give you a mirror finish is more fun.

Anaglypta is cheeper

Rick

Sand paper> Second problem of the day...

Reply to
Rick Dipper

In message , Rick Dipper writes

A skim would be all that is needed.

Reply to
chris French

Check first to see if the paint effect has been applied to a lining or normal wall paper base. If it has been applied to paper then steam the paper off as per normal and then put another layer of lining paper up and do your paint job on top.

Reply to
BigWallop

I'd rather just have painted surfaces.

Thanks for the idea though :)

Reply to
Charles Middleton

The plaster board has been painted and then the rag roll has been applied to that.

If I use lining paper will the joins between the paper be noticable?

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

Presume I can get this paper from any DIY outlet?

CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

I got some from B+Q. Fancy coated 3M stuff. Don't know how much better it is than simple AliOX paper, because they don't sell that!

Reply to
Chris Hodges

(Charles Middleton) wrote

I don't think they'd be noticable in the short term. My entire house was either papered or lining papered and i'm down to my last room for removal now after 6 months.

I'd never put the stuff (lining paper) back up again. When it's old it looks awful and you can't paint over the gaps.

This being said the plaster is in pretty good nick for a 1958 house. Couple of coats of Dulux Once [1] and it's like new .....

Cheers,

Paul.

[1] Yeh, I know. :-/
Reply to