removing paint from wooden fence posts

Hi,

In our garden we have an arch/pergola that the previous owners painted with water-based "preserver" only it was a funny colour. SWMBO asked me to creosote it to make it look prettier.

I had a go at sanding it with a 60 grit belt sander but I got impatient, so I switched to a flap disc in an angle grinder. That was much faster but, in places, it left marks, so I ended up going over it again with the belt sander.

It's still not quite back to the wood yet. What would you have done? Until I sat down to type this, I had not thought of chemical paint stripper or heat. Perhaps I should have given one of those a go?

Would the flap disc be your chosen tool? I guess if you have good technique you can hold it such that it doesn't scuff the wood but I need to work on that. Or would you take your time with a belt sander? Perhaps I should buy a 40 grit belt rather than a 60?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

How about a pressure washer?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not sure why you don't just paint over it.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

The colour will fade in time, forget it. If impatient, just put stain over the top.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Because we wanted to creosote it rather than paint it. The "creosote" will not soak in through the paint.

Reply to
Fred