Removing MDF glued to stainless steel

Hi All

As part of my pizza oven project am looking to reuse some stainless steel splashback which has MDF glued to the back. Any ideas how to get it off?

Thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

I suppose you don't know what glue was used?

MDF pretty much crumbles away if you get it wet then dry it out. It may need a few cycles of that treatment.

Reply to
GB

Angle grinder:-)

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

unfortunately not.. They are stainless steel splashbacks (around 10mm deep) with the edges bent at 90 degrees. The MDF seems to be there to give it strength and then attach to the wall.

Reply to
leenowell

I'd be tempted to let it weather outside for a while!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Set a circular saw to cut a groove just shallower than the thickness of the MDF. Run it over the back of the MDF at say 2" spacing. Use an old chisel to lever off most of the waste. *THEN* soak it all in water.

(The point being that the surface of MDF is much more resistant to water than the body.)

Finally use an angle grinder to get rid of the glue.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Some MDF will disintegrate with water. Try soaking it in a bath of water for a day.

Reply to
alan_m

Prop it up in the garden and aim a pressure washer at the back to dissolve the MDF?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Quick update.... I have had one of the smaller pieces soaking in the sink f or 2 days now. All that seems to have happened is that it got wet. No swe lling, cracking etc. Even trying to pull bits off is as hard as it was ori ginally. Also this particular piece... the MDF broken whilst it was remove d so half of it doesn't even have the smooth face.

Reply to
leenowell

Chuck it on a bonfire.

Reply to