Removing glue from skirting board

I'm replacing laminate flooring with carpet. I've taken some beading off that was fastened all around the skirting board with glue. It came off easily but there's a noticable trail of glue all round the skirting that is difficult to shift.

What's the best way to remove this? I've tried sanding but with no success. I've tried a chisel but it's a slow process and I've got 20m of board to do.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Antony

A bigger chisel.

Reply to
BigWallop

I think I would try scraping the worst off by dragging a sharp chisel across it, and than sanding it with an orbital sander (on its side, of course) using fairly coarse grade sandpaper.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

Some steam wallpaper strippers come with a small attachment head attachment. Maybe heating the glue will help to remove it. Better still a belt sander (B&Q Pro ~£70) with a `light touch' will eat through this, then use an orbital sander for a fine finish. If there's any staining of the wood then liquid paint stripper will help remove this together will a paint / wallpaper stripping knife.

However, get down to a timber merchant and cost it for replacement, you may be surprised !

Hope this helps - Oliver.

Reply to
Oliver Brearley

If it was no-nails or similar this is very difficult to get off..

Keep scraping away ...

How true, in similar position I found bog standard dual profile pine skirting was 88p/metre in timber merchant. It just wasn't worth the effort or risk of cleaning up the old stuff....

Reply to
BillR

I was able to do it with a 2inch bladed wall paper scraper and a hammer. Still took time but the end product was worth it as the project was low budget with no time limit.

Reply to
Ryan2243

** 17 ** years ago !!
Reply to
Andrew

Well the reply did say no time limit. Perhaps it has taken 17 years to remove the glue by his method?

Reply to
alan_m

Why mention it...?

Reply to
jon

Maybe that is how long it took, they did say no time limit. I know people who have half built bodged in kitchens for about that long. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa