Removing glue from skirting board

I'm replacing laminate flooring with carpet. I've taken some beading off that was fastened all around the skirting board with glue. It came off easily but there's a noticable trail of glue all round the skirting that is difficult to shift.
What's the best way to remove this? I've tried sanding but with no success. I've tried a chisel but it's a slow process and I've got 20m of board to do.
Any suggestions?

A bigger chisel.

I think I would try scraping the worst off by dragging a sharp chisel across it, and than sanding it with an orbital sander (on its side, of course) using fairly coarse grade sandpaper.
Roger

Some steam wallpaper strippers come with a small attachment head attachment. Maybe heating the glue will help to remove it. Better still a belt sander (B&Q Pro ~70) with a `light touch' will eat through this, then use an orbital sander for a fine finish. If there's any staining of the wood then liquid paint stripper will help remove this together will a paint / wallpaper stripping knife.
However, get down to a timber merchant and cost it for replacement, you may be surprised !
Hope this helps - Oliver.
Oliver Brearley wrote:

skirting was 88p/metre in timber merchant. It just wasn't worth the effort or risk of cleaning up the old stuff....