removing cement from tools

Anyone know a way to get dried cement off tools? I got a spirit level at a car boot, and I'd like to get the splashes off - and since it's a painted alumnium object, brute force is not going to work.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

Dip in hot concentrated lye (wear protective goggles) The cement bits should come off with no damage whatsoever. The spirit level will just dissolve.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I use sand paper - or cource you loose the painted finish.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

I've removed cement with light concussion, e.g. pin hammer, on the lump edges etc..... Hopefully, the bonding between the coating and the aluminium is stronger than that between the cement and the coating...

Thinner spots - a damp rough cloth and lots of elbow grease...

Reply to
Coherers

wonder if brick acid, carefully applied to the larger lumps with a pipette, would have any merit?

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Sounds helpful - I'll have a look.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear

yes, but takes out aluminium just as fast :-( Buy a new level. Old ones get like this, and get sold at car boot sales....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I once spilled some Jenolite rust treatment on my concrete garage floor, and judgine by the amount of fizzing which resulted, I would recommend trying that! David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi,

Maybe sanding the worst off and using kettle/iron descaler would do it without harming the aluminium.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Great minds (etc)

After reading various posts, I looked around my kitchen, and decided that descaler (toiler) sounded "helpful".

Quite a lot of the cement was very thin and dry, and just rubbed off with a nylon scrubbing brush.

Most of the remainder was done with the descaler, taking grate care to rinse/wipe down finished areas.

I think the paint is protecting the Aluminium from the acid, which is helpful it :-)

Thank to all for the hints and tips.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear