Recommendations - ISPs for ISDN? (sort-of relevant to DIY)

Ah, a DIFM rather than just DIM I see.

Demon is cheap, and the service quality reflects that, and always has. Its about the cheapest unlimited ISDN dial up option out there.

Apart from that, its as crap as you would expect. I know, I use it :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not on freetime numbers it isn't.

Costs more than that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's Rate Adaptive DSL which will give a 512k outbound service. This will run on longer lengths than the straight DSL, but the distances are a guide. The acid test is the line loss.....

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

How about FreeServe and AOL, I don't think either of them impose usage limits and they are a whole lot cheaper than Demon. I'm assuming by 'unlimited' you mean really unlimited as in no monthly hours limit.

If you mean unlimited as in 'unmetered' but with a limit on the total number of hours/month then there are dozens of alternatives to Demon.

Demon is expensive for just about any sort of usage except possibly somewhere over 10 hours/day. 300 hours/month packages can be found for far less than Demon + Surftime costs.

Reply to
usenet

My God! FS and AOL!! Why even bother? Just use some string or something.

Reply to
Grunff

AOL will be a non starter in this case - the OP mentioned wanting to use a VPN. Generally you can't run a VPN over an AOL link since it itself already sets up a VPN for connecting between the AOL client and their servers (neatly bypassing the hardware firewall built into your router in many cases!!).

Reply to
John Rumm

No that sounds about right.... you can't do the bandwidth allocation on demand trick using surf(any)time either - so if you have an ISDN router you need to go to the hassle of reprogramming each time to switch between unmetered 64K and paid for 128K.

Reply to
John Rumm

I used to use an Eicon Diva 1830 ISDN router - pretty sure you can run VPN over that. Currently sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Drop me an email if you want to make me an offer ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

it's usually standard on plusnet - rather than an option. Multiple static IP addresses is a (free) option.

Reply to
John Rumm

Both of them are actually very reliable if you use them just as an ISP. I've used FreeServe Anytime for several years as my basic 64k ISDN connection and it's been very, very reliable. (and way, way cheaper than using a Demon dial-up even if Demon is just as good).

I haven't personally used AOL but a lot of people recommend it too for conectivity. It has one major advantage that its numbers are real

0800 numbers, not 0808 FRIACO numbers so non BT people can use AOL.
Reply to
usenet

Er... Yes you can.

You need the right account with Demon - Super Showroom. then you can have 64K or 128K 24/7 for a fixed amount. (£23 to BT for the line, £25 to BT for Surftime/Anytime and some huge amount to Demon for the service)

CyberCafe up the road from me has that as a backup system to their main 2Mb feed. I set it up for them (Zyxel router) and it does BOD as it needs to. (We use the ISDN for other things to like outgoing email, but thats another story)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I think it's £60/month to Demon.

Reply to
usenet

... but if it's unmetered you don't care.

Exactly my situation too.

Reply to
usenet

Naw if you lived in a remote Welsh valley you'd be connected via a wireless system as an adjunct to getting the local schools decent broadband connections or simply because the locals new that BT would not be enabling their exchange for years (if ever) and wireless brings better bandwidth so they got together and formed a Community Enterprise to do it.

If you are in Cumbria keep an eye out for Project Access, this aims to provide broadband access to the whole of the county (target 90/95%). This should start to roll out early next year with completion in 2005 or perhaps late 2004 (but that would seem to be pushing it a bit IMHO).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup - sorry was thinking "premier connect plus" - I was forgetting their business ISDN offerings.

I used to use PCP + Surf anytime - and damn expensive it was too!

Reply to
John Rumm

They do allow channel bonding - but not on the 0808 numbers (at least a year ago or so when I last used ISDN). You can do it on the 0845 numbers and also (as Grodon points out above) with the business oriented packages like showroom.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

Having set a few of my neighbours and family up with free accounts and listened to their various comments I'm happy to pay for what I consider to be a good reliable service, by unmetered do you mean unlimited connectivity as in for as long as you want as often as you want? bearing in mind I still connect by modem but am going ISDN next week

Reply to
David

Do you *really* want more than 200 or 300 hours per month? If so then you're going to have to pay quite a lot. If on the other hand something like 10 hours per day is enough then there are *lots* of much cheaper 'unmetered' alternatives to Demon.

Reply to
usenet

Demon don't have any 0808 numbers, all of their numbers are 0845 or

0844 (Surftime).
Reply to
usenet

Reply to