Recommendations - ISPs for ISDN? (sort-of relevant to DIY)

Page 3 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net wrote:

Yerrs. And they are still losing money..
NTL broadband is not too bad. Frinds have it.
snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net writes

FWIW we have some premises which are 6 KM from the exchange chatting to a BT tech the other day he said that ADSL would work over that distance but only up to 512 down, and you couldn't expect anything faster...FWIW..

--
Tony Sayer

Also 128k ISDN with compression is remarkably good subjectively.
There are quite a few ISPs offering 128k ISDN, just do a google search for "128k ISDN ISP" and you'll find quite a few. I'm in the process of selecting one at the moment, current front runner is NDO.
Here's a quick list of *some* ISPs that offer 128k ISDN:-
320 hours 64k, 160 hours 128k ----------------------------- www.cymru1.net 10:1 27.99 www.swiftinter.net 24.50 Direct Debit
250 hours 64k, 125 hours 128k ----------------------------- www.ndo.com 19.99
200 hours 64k, 100 hours 128k ----------------------------- www2.fast24.net 7:1 18.00
160 hours 64k, 80 hours 128k ---------------------------- www.4dinternet.co.uk 15:1 18.99 www.aardvarkltd.co.uk 12:1 22.55 www.gcsnet.co.uk 17.99 www.giointernet.com 15:1 19.99 Direct debit (?) www.iapwired.com 15:1 19.99 www.icuknet.co.uk 15:1 20.00 www.southgrove.com 30:1 19.95 www.surf128.com 15:1 19.99 www.surfmad.com 15:1 18.99 www.wisesurfer.com 15:1 18.99
100 hours 64k, 50 hours 128k ---------------------------- www.anispo.com 12:1 17.95 www.jjtek-online.com 12:1 17.99 www.officelinkit.com 15:1 19.27 www.zx3.net 12:1 24.99

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:29:32 +0000 (UTC), Colin M wrote:

Ours has 25, trigger 300...
I doubt very much it'll rise.

Comparing ADSL to wireless community broadband is worth the wait. It's a bit variable depending on system load but 1Mbps full duplex is the norm, in the wee small hours I've had 4 to 5Mbps, full duplex of course.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Oh I don't know, I can change to ISDN for an extra 1.50 /mth to BT and the demon 128k unlimited access line is the same price as what I'm paying. Its certainly fast enough for me ATM and trigger levels for ADSL are still too high for access any time soon in this area.
--
David

writes

Demon told me the charge for their unmetered 128k ("showroom"?) offering was 60/month - have I got this wrong?
Dave S

(although they won't tell us what the actual figure is!) even for extended-reach ADSL. The PowerLine trial doesn't cover our area. The cable services are too far away. .....AFAIK this only leaves satellite or ISDN and my employer is paying for the ISDN install.
This all sounds like we live in a remote Welsh valley - we actually live in a village a couple of miles N of Winchester.
Dave S

Where the mighty nthell is based!....shame....
--
Tony Sayer

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:28:38 -0000, Dave wrote:

Naw if you lived in a remote Welsh valley you'd be connected via a wireless system as an adjunct to getting the local schools decent broadband connections or simply because the locals new that BT would not be enabling their exchange for years (if ever) and wireless brings better bandwidth so they got together and formed a Community Enterprise to do it.
If you are in Cumbria keep an eye out for Project Access, this aims to provide broadband access to the whole of the county (target 90/95%). This should start to roll out early next year with completion in 2005 or perhaps late 2004 (but that would seem to be pushing it a bit IMHO).
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I used http://www.123isp.co.uk/ when I was on ISDN before ADSL arrived.
Generally a helpful bunch, and they seem to offer unlimited connectivity, but with a 1 or 2 hour cutoff. This is no big issue because the router will automatically remake the connection. Just means that you have to use a download manager which can restart long downloads.
HTH Dave R
Dave wrote:

What I have here, is a small CISCO router, ISDN business highway (so I can stll use the phone) and a Demon unlimited access account. Plus BT anytime.
The whole lot cots me about 1500 quid a year including phone charges.
The router is set up to do NAT, and runs a couple of computers fine.
Ths cisco is a 800 series with 4 ethernet hub built in. Its not the cheapest option, but it has never missed a beat. I got it because I am very familiar with Cisco kit.
BT anytime works as advertised.
Demon sucks, always has, always will, but you do get a fixed IP address which makes getting through other peoples firewalls a bit easier to manage. I think Pipex also do a unlimited access ISDN service on anytime numbers.
Transfer rates are about double what I used to get with a modem - about 6k a second if demon is not borked (which it mostly is)
Its advisable not steer clear of Demons popmail service. I have two Clara Net 'lite' domains+popmail and web services and one other which cost me about another 30 quid a year each.
If I could find four people withing wifi range who wanted brodaband, I'd bring in a leased line...and go 2Mbps...:-) But its about 8 k a year to do that...

[27 lines snipped]

In your (incorrect) opinion.
I used to use demon but got the hump when the official line with there mail system was that there where no problems with it. (I found mail downloads not triggering for a large part of the day). In the last month I was with them, notice period, a whole raft of updates where done to the mail system. I prefer openess and honesty which I did not feel I was getting.
On 25 Nov 2003 10:30:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
static IP address is an option on plus net. www.plusnet.com
You just go to the account web page and select it. Configuring your firewall first of course.
wrote:

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk
Lawrence wrote:

it's usually standard on plusnet - rather than an option. Multiple static IP addresses is a (free) option.
--
Cheers,

John.

writes

I've got one of those ...........He he
Free internet access whenever my NTL box locks up
--
geoff

Tried a few other ISPs that claimed to offer bonded ISDN, including 123 and firefly, but found them to be unreliable. Not only did bonding often not work, quite frequently it would take several attempts to connect, which rather removes one of the advantages of ISDN, the quick call setup time.
I've found midband to be consistently reliable. and relatively inexpensive. You do need to make separate provision for news and SMTP email delivery though.
Bill

Thanks Bill, I hadn't heard of the BT offering and it sounds too good to be true... 10/month, 75 hrs at 128k (150 at 64k), 2 hr timeout.
They say that it's not ISP-based - how does it differ? Do you use a standard browser? Does it work with MSN (essential for teenagers)? Presumably the standard newsreaders work so it's possible to use one of the free news servers(?)
Dave S

space, email or news services, but they don't appear to limit access to others.
Don't know anything about MSN, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
Yes, the standard browsers, email clients and newsreaders work. You should be able to use free news servers.
Email was what initially gave me problems. If you have email accounts with other ISPs you can collect mail from them via pop3, but sending via SMTP is not completely straightforward. BT do offer an SMTP service for an extra fee, either 1.50 or 2.50 a month. There are various providers of mail facilities, including SMTP, for either nothing or fairly low fees. I'm trying Runbox at the moment. Not the cheapest at about $30 p.a. but it seems reliable so far. Alternatively you can use webmail.
Bill