Recommendations for restricted lock cylinders

How is that worse than any other way in which a lock has been destroyed in place? ABS point out that this means it is at least feasible to unlock from inside whereas other makes seem to get so totally destroyed you don't even have that option.

Reply to
polygonum

At the amateur theatre I used to be involved with, the locks were specially selected so that extra keys could not be cut because of special blanks. Five years down the line, all keycutting shops carried them in stock.

Reply to
charles

So, you didn't know *everything*. Phew.

Reply to
Huge

Multiple shear lines in the cylinder.

Reply to
Huge

Yeah, but the Abloys came in after you.

The earlier keys were really easy to turn into a master.

DAMHIK.

Reply to
Bob Eager

security/question710.htm

Yup, used that on locks in a (different) hall of residence to stop cleaners coming in at an unearthly hour. Pick two pins with the same non- master shear lines but different master shear lines, and swap them.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Don't do what a friend did and take the thing to pieces to find out how it works.

There are many pingfuckits inside a multi-level mastered cylinder lock. We did get it working again, but there were a few bits left over ...

Reply to
Huge

Is that one of those cases where you try to catch fifty parts at the same time as they all decide to fly for freedom?

Reply to
Davey

A simple mechanical lock will have a key that can be copied, albeit at expense.

There are some door entry systems that operate on the "catch" side leaving the conventional key side still operable.

Just that for "secure locks" with limited supply of blanks tend to be expensive, and blanks exclusive for a limited time, and of course also expensive.

Reply to
Fredxxx

There are two different shear lines in each lock.

Reply to
ss

I made a jig, because we were doing quite a few (14 I think!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's the one!

Reply to
Huge

Morris Minor gearboxes were good for that, especially when disassembled on a forecourt of concrete pads with gaps just larger than the ball bearings.

Retrieval tool turned out to be a screwdriver with a dob of grease on the end.

Reply to
Davey

Worst one for me was a Humber Hawk gearbox.

I started by obtaining short lengths of mild steel in different sizes to act as keepers. I remember having to stick a complete circle of needle rollers to the inside of a bearing before refitting a shaft.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You really want a secure by design 3 star lock.

The yale one can get 3 stars but only with reinforced handle hardware. I can't work out if the magnum has any stars.

These are pretty good

They are not invincible but you probably need to pay a lot more for a better one.

Reply to
dennis

The OP was worried about unauthorised copying of keys. Wouldn't the above technology be equally abused with the tag (keys) being scanned by a mobile phone and then being reprogrammed on tags available on Ebay for

10s of pence?
Reply to
alan_m

Serious door entry systems have a password and a RFID key/fob/card.

The secure bit is that each key is unique and if a party copies one it's obvious from records who has made the copy or is attributable to anyone gaining entry.

It's also easy to bar a key if there is a nefarious copy becomes known.

Reply to
Fredxxx