rechargeable batteries: are they worth it?

a setting for recharbles then it's unlikely recharables would be a good id= ea, some cheap toys might not work for very long due to the lower voltage 1= .2V compared teh 1.5V alkaline and that can make quite a differnce with 4 c= ells or more. I've had cheap LED torches that work well with Alkaline batte= ries but quickly fail when useing recharbles as those =A31 shop torches use= the relatively high intenal resistance of alkaline cells to current limit.= When usoing recharables they get rather warm and tend to stop woring after= an hour or so and it's not the batteries that 'die' the LEDS do .

ce that they are a good idea and well worth while, but putting rechargable = batteries in equipemtn not designed for them isn't a good idea.

et that on the camera, not tried setting the wrong ones yet for obvious rea= sons :-)

It tends to be low end products can't use rechargeables these days, plus so= me goods designed before they became common.

If you change the camera setting it just reads the remaining charge wrong. = But since it does that anyway with NiMH its of no consequence.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

NiMH are only a nominal 1.2 volts instead of 1.5, but NiZn are 1.5 if you can find them.

Reply to
Windmill

So what we really need is a five-battery compartment. Four alkalines or five lower-voltage rechargeables. 6V whichever you use.

Reply to
polygonum

I did come across a piece of equipment some years ago, that was just like that. They even provided a dummy cell for you insert if you weren't using rechargeables. I can't rememebr what it was, though. (20+ years ago)

Reply to
charles

Neat - and I thought I was being silly!

Mind, I have often wished that you could get a box into which you can fit an arbitrary number of single cells (whether all the same size or mixed), which would cycle through all of them charging each one individually. Maybe several at a time. So you could have a stock of batteries, all but a few fully charged, permanently available.

Reply to
polygonum

Radio Shack hand held CB radio? I've still got a pair that uses either

10 NiCds or 8 alkaline cells. They were supplied with a pair of dummy cells each. I know one of them worked last time I powered it up.
Reply to
John Williamson

Istr a ghetto blaster like that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Using the Low Self discharge type, once they are charged they last ages before they lose an appreciable amount of charge.

Reply to
chris French

I love the simplistic logic you get on uk.d-i-y.

Reply to
Jim Newman

Ooops, the follow up suggest you were being 'ironic'; good to see some of the simplistic logic here is meant to be ironic. :)

Reply to
Jim Newman

But I had a radio that took 10 rechargeables and was supplied with a dummy battery if you fitted primary cells.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

4 LSD in place of the old 4.8V bell battery - what's wrong with that? Ah, needs a holder for 1 or 4 units - there's radical!
Reply to
PeterC

'twas a mixture. One part "well this would get over the voltage issue", one part "obviously impossible in any kit not made to work like that", another part "how on earth could you ensure people don't break things by using wrong number/type combos", and several other parts, probably including a pile of poo.

Reply to
polygonum