Re: Spray painting MDF…?

>> Having been looking at fireplace mantelpieces I am finding that

>> in the style and price range I'm looking at the majority seem >> to be rather simple affairs made out of sprayed MDF so I've >> decided to try my hand at making my own. >> > >Spose could be a reaction between the different layers/types of >paint I used? certainly when I tried to over lacquer the >plastikote with car lacquer (on a test piece) it reacted badly >and effectively ruined the plastikote layer.... > >I wonder if using all car paints (from paint factor not halfords >;>)) would be a better route next time? > >Jim K

You are supposed to use the same paint type when using highly volatile paints like Plasti-Kote because the thinner can cause adverse reactions, even when using the exact paint type and thinner can still cause reactions, as there is a time frame to apply or reapply these types of volatile solvent based paints, which tend to bond a bit like cellulose by softening the underneath layer, of course this doesn't apply to conventional oil or water based paints, usually just car paints.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull