Re: Pool water in central heating system

On 1 Sep 2003 13:04:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (C-H Gustafsson) wrote:

The pool water won't generally have concentrations of chemicals enough to damage the heating system directly (humans swim in it). However, the risk would be from oxygen being continuously introduced into the heating circuit. This would typically cause problems with iron and steel components - e.g. boilers and conventional radiators. UFH pipes, from what I've seen are either plastic or copper wrapped in something to protect it from the concrete. You could confirm that. I would expect that flushing it through with fresh water and refilling would be adequate. There might be some accumulation of rubbish from the pool if the filtration wasn't working.
I you want to replace the heat exchanger, you have an excellent local manufacturer.
http://www.gea-ecobraze.se

If the floors are concrete, pretty difficult, but I don't necessarily think you have reached that point.

True, but you do get to have artsoppa on Thursdays, koettbullar with lingonberries and Westerbotten ost, which IMHO, more than compensates. :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Luckily, the underfloor heating doesn't work unless you close the valves to the pool. (The water would just have pool temperature.) It also appears the valves for the heating have been closed when the pool was heated. Therefore, oxygen and pool chemicals should only have been introduced when they switched between pool and underfloor heating. (Spring/autumn)

That's wonderful news!
---------- Bob Minchin wrote:

The standard heating in Sweden is electrical radiators, but this house was built by someone with a special interest in heating solutions. UFH was almost unheard of in Sweden when this house was built a few years ago. In addition to the heat pump, there is a back up system with electric heating. There are also connections for solar collectors, but no solar collectors. Additionally, it looks like the house is prepared for air conditioning and/or air heating.

harm.
Again, that's great news.

cheaply
Yes, bills were expected and the price was a bit lower than it would have been if the house was finished and didn't have any problems. But the heating system was among the things that were supposed to be working.
/Clas-Henrik