Re-opening old fireplace

I've just removed a hideous gas fire and want to open up the old fire place for a woodbuner. Pic here:

there any likelihood of finding asbestos in the old fire back or cement used? (I think they date from the 1980s.)

Is it best to remove the fireback first and then start on the bricks?

Any gotchas I need to watch out for?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
mike

In message , mike writes

Can't see why there would be. Anyway you'll be wearing a mask:-)

I would think so. There may be a space behind the bricks to get busy with a club hammer and bolster.

There ought to be a piece of iron supporting that shallow arch.

I've got some pics of ours somewhere.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

mike ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wibbled on Thursday 03 February 2011 19:22:

Fireback is safe to remove (structurely) - but if you start removing bricks, you need to be aware if you are removing load bearing support. Chimney stacks are *very* heavy.

Reply to
Tim Watts

mike ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) wibbled on Thursday 03 February 2011 19:22:

Hang on - just seen your photo - are those red bricks retrofitted into a much larger opening bordered by those brown bricks?

I don't see an obvious problem with opening back to the brown bricks. That arch is something to watch out for - it looks like it might have been designed to be load bearing but it looks a bit on the slime side for such a wide opening.

I'd consider some iron or a concrete lintle there - but that's only going on a photo...

Reply to
Tim Watts

You will find a large quantity of material to remove from behind the red brick wall. Dont disturb the older brick arch. Given that you had to ask your question do you feel competent to cast a sealing slab to run the woodburner flue pipe up through? DIY is good but some tasks need someone who knows the job.

Reply to
cynic

cynic ( snipped-for-privacy@talktalk.net) wibbled on Thursday 03 February 2011 22:53:

Does he need a slab? Mine (albeit smaller) was closed off by the HETAS fitter with a sheet of metal about 6" up into the chimney and sprayed black.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

Building control was happy with a sheet metal closer secured to an angle iron frame and sealed with fire cement grout.

I suppose an insulated twin wall chimney liner was an added reassurance.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There's probably a metal arch under the brown bricks, usually about

5-10mm thick I think. I'd chip away at that mortar line and make sure it extends into the brown bricks on either side.
Reply to
stuart noble

I have masterboard and no liner; when it's going, it draws pretty well (3 storeys). But I have checked with a CO monitor

Reply to
newshound

Yes. It is a very shallow arch, and the supporting walls at either side are too insubstantial to support much lateral arch force. I would carefully check for any arch slippage before removing the brickwork underneath. I might even repoint the arch and brickwork immediately above it first if the mortar isn't in good condition.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I put some photos of one of mine on photobucket. Now if I can only remember the password......

brickwork is corbelled in to form a throat. No working flash on this camera so not easily seen. Chipping off old mortar/render is not kind to soft red brick. Elsewhere I have retained existing render but stopped it short of the brick face to give a cleaner edge. Better photo soon as the other camera is heading home from Lanzarote:-)

My first attempts at matching lime mortar were not good. You need white cement and silver sand.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb