Re-opening Chimeny Breast

The chimney breast in our house was blocked up using breeze blocks. I intend to put a reclaimed fire back in. Its in a bedroom so we don't intend to use it as a working fire. I assume I can knock it back open again so long as I don't make the opening bigger than it was orginally - am I correct?

Whats the best way to knock it out - my current method of hammer and cold chisel is going to take some time!

TIA

Reply to
elziko

If you have a working fire in the room below? you will need to make sure the fire you're putting in is sealed in the appropriate way for fear of fumes from the fire below.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

When you've got the first couple of bricks out, the rest are generally easy -- light tap with the hammer loosens them. I had taken the plaster off the front anyway as it was loose, so it was easy to see where the opening had been bricked up.

If it's on an outside 9" wall, the back of the fireplace may be just a 4" wall, and liable to condensation. I lined the back of one I opened out with with 1" cellotex behind 9mm plasterboard, which has prevented any condensation (actually, that wall is now warmer than the 9" walls either side of the chimney breast).

I also blocked the flue off with a piece of plasterboard held up by bonding coat plaster, with an insulation offcut on top of it. For continued flue ventilation, I fitted an air brick above the plasterboard open to the outside.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The fire in the room below is one of those gas/living flame affairs. Is the sealing still required? And if so any information on how to do this would be appreciated!

TIA

Reply to
elziko