Re: New to DIY. Anyone recommend any good DIY books or references? Many thanks.

Collins DIY Manual Collins DIY Manual Collins DIY Manual

(oh, and Which Guide to Wiring and Lighting if you're doing electrickery)

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Many people recommend the Collins DIY manual and the Reader's Digest DIY manual as a base source of knowledge for various DIY tasks, obviously supplemented by asking more specific questions here!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Perhaps the RD one has improved. I remember the first edition where it showed you what a hammer was ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, there's a market for cookery books on how to boil an egg...

The Collins one is OK, if a little dated at times. (It may have been updated since).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But I doubt they'd be recommended on uk.food+drink.misc if someone asked about a good recipe book ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'd recommend Collins as well.

Reply to
StealthUK

[T] Have you still got that edition Mary ... if so would you scan those pages and e-mail them to me please as they aren't in mine? (just so I don't use the wrong tool etc ..) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I didn't say we had one ... the incompetent husband of a friend did. He thought it was wonderful but he never really understood what a hammer was for.

Nor any other tool.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote | Perhaps the RD one has improved. I remember the first edition where | it showed you what a hammer was ...

It's very important to use the proper tool. If you were using a spanner to knock a screw in, it could slip off the screw head and mark the work.

I can remember sitting next to someone doing CSE Gardening in mock exams at school. I could see his paper, and one of the questions was "draw a spade". He got it wrong (fork).

Owain

Reply to
Owain

[T] Is there a particular one you would recommend Al ;-)
[T] Sorry, can't help you on that one .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Took me forever to get that nail in with a fork.

JB

Reply to
John Biddiscombe

Even I know that forks are for getting nails OUT.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

This place is the best reference.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

[T] They are? I thought they were for making dents in plasterboard so you know where the nail is later and changing the colour of your thumb (different colours depending on how hard you use the hammer)?

Oh well, you live and learn .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "John Biddiscombe" | > Took me forever to get that nail in with a fork. | Even I know that forks are for getting nails OUT.

And you should always keep fork handles handy in case there's a power cut.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have the: Readers Digest - Complete DIY Manual (Updated Edition)

2001 Version - ISBN 0-276-42354-2
- Newer Version) and the Collins - Complete DIY Manual (Completely New Edition) 2001 Version - ISBN 0-00-414101-6
are both great books to start with, but neither one is complete, and where as one may often tell you how to do it, the other will supply little hints and tips to make it easier.

I find using them both then asking in this news group for the parts that neither explains or helps with to be the best solution.

Reply to
Seri

I have any number of those, being a chandler ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Isn't it great news that The Two Ronnies are doing another show? :)

PoP

-----

My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at

apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Reply to
PoP

Ah yes, a relatively modern use for them. I have tried that, but wasnt very pleased with the results.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Today Spouse discovered the real use for the elastics on his scooter. If you work them properly they spring out and make your lips beautifuly red, then blue and black and very, very full.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher