Re: Is it the turn of plumbers to provide certification?

In message , PoP writes

Looks that way to me anyway. If you take a look at the deputy prime >ministers web page below and refer to the Institute of Plumbing scheme >description it looks as though plumbers may soon be required to issue >certificates for fitting a new loo or shower cubicle: > >
>Okay, so the scheme isn't currently operational. But the fact that >John Prescott has seen fit to announce this on his web site suggests >to me that he's up for getting plumbers into the net of >self-regulation. > >Please tell me I'm wrong about this.....at this rate (with gas and >electricity installations having to be certified under the building >regs) you'll soon need to inspect a certificate before taking a p!ss.

They have special clinics for that

>How many lives are they trying to save each year by virtue of this >ridiculous red tape? Anyone know how many people died last year after >sitting on an incorrectly fitted loo? >

PLEASE someone dig up an URL for this, there must be one somewhere - Darwin Awards perhaps?

Reply to
geoff

Plumbers and Electricians would love to have CORGI style regulations (monopoly) introduced for plumbing and electrical work in all domestic houseing work.

Your average domestic plumbing and electrical work very easy for diy person with decent toolkit.

Reply to
Tinklemagoo

"PoP" wrote | How many lives are they trying to save each year by virtue of this | ridiculous red tape? Anyone know how many people died last year after | sitting on an incorrectly fitted loo?

"Here are some surprising figures from ROSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents: Accidents in the bathroom were common with an estimated 28,000 involving the bath and another 11,000 the toilet. Cotton buds caused more accidents than razor blades with a whopping 9,000 a year. Sponges and loofahs caused

630 accidents whilst talcum powder accounted for over 200 incidents."
Owain

In message , Owain writes

Reply to
geoff

Not this one (plumber) and I'll bet not many others: getting qualified for gas, oil and unvented is time-consuming, expensive and tough enough without having to do so for yet other areas of our work.

However the big building companies would probably like a regulatory regime that disqualified independent tradespeople as they'd have a monoploy on the work and would have a better supply of workers at crap wages. And of course for the IoP and NIC/EIC it would be a licence to print money as it is for CORGI (just paid £10 for a 7 page application form!).

Ha! Some of it yes, but for your average Joe Public decorating, putting up shelves, making a patio etc are probably more rewarding DIY prospects than plumbing and electrical work.

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Bob the builder / it'll cost yer Bob the builder / loadsa dosh

Reply to
John Stumbles

I agree that it's open to patronage and abuse but if I wanted to know how good someone was as a plumber I think I'd rather see their work than their certificates (if any)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

But that's the plus and the minus of 2003. You don't the craft skills you once needed (especially with plumbing) so anyone can do it. It doesn't mean that they can do it right. Witness the 'plumber' who did some work for us last year who thought it alright to run wastes uphill and round a swept tee the wrong way.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I really though that you were maiking this up, but having checked, one imagines that this is from slipping in or falling off, rather than being attacked by the plumbing.

As a kid, I made the bathroom into a 'skating rink' by sprinking talc on the floor: mother was not amused

Tim

Reply to
tim

"tim" wrote in news:bk2k54$jb6$02$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com:

A few years ago there seemed to be a spate of WC failures where the whole bowl shattered. These were old (maybe Victorian) pans and some of the injuries reported were horrendous. I sure hope that there weren't 11,000 like that!

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Hello geoff

1,300 injuries from baking tins stuck on heads?

"......!"

Reply to
Simon Avery

I really don't believe it

Half baked brains?

Reply to
geoff

That will be all those D-I-Yers sticking their heads in the kitchen cupboards looking for the stopcock in an emergency in the dark, having just flooded the house and blown the electricity. Yup, we'd better regulate the plumbing trade thereby saving some 1,300 visits to A&E every year to have baking tins removed from heads.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

See

scroll down to the 2000 IgNobel prize for Public Health, stopping to look at the one for Medicine on the way.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Hello Andrew

And has just occured to me, those are the ones who overcame their embarrassment to seek professional help at casualty, and sat waiting for ages causing light relief in the waiting room. Not including the ones who had them pulled off by friends and laughing relatives.

One does wonder how far this could go. Do you think farmers and landowners will be forced to get a plumber in to throw in a bit of mdpe and hook up a trough? Can't see that going down too well.

Reply to
Simon Avery

"John Stumbles" wrote | > Your average domestic plumbing and electrical work very easy for diy | > person with decent toolkit. | Ha! Some of it yes, but for your average Joe Public decorating, putting up | shelves, making a patio etc are probably more rewarding DIY prospects than | plumbing and electrical work.

To my mind there is a certain beauty of carefully-formed and polished copper MICC cables on cable tray, that I've never achieved with wallpaper.

Owain

Reply to
Owain