Re: Is it the turn of plumbers to provide certification?

They have special clinics for that

Darwin Awards perhaps?
--
geoff

Plumbers and Electricians would love to have CORGI style regulations (monopoly) introduced for plumbing and electrical work in all domestic houseing work.
Your average domestic plumbing and electrical work very easy for diy person with decent toolkit.

Not this one (plumber) and I'll bet not many others: getting qualified for gas, oil and unvented is time-consuming, expensive and tough enough without having to do so for yet other areas of our work.
However the big building companies would probably like a regulatory regime that disqualified independent tradespeople as they'd have a monoploy on the work and would have a better supply of workers at crap wages. And of course for the IoP and NIC/EIC it would be a licence to print money as it is for CORGI (just paid 10 for a 7 page application form!).

Ha! Some of it yes, but for your average Joe Public decorating, putting up shelves, making a patio etc are probably more rewarding DIY prospects than plumbing and electrical work.
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ Bob the builder / it'll cost yer Bob the builder / loadsa dosh
"John Stumbles" wrote | > Your average domestic plumbing and electrical work very easy for diy | > person with decent toolkit. | Ha! Some of it yes, but for your average Joe Public decorating, putting up | shelves, making a patio etc are probably more rewarding DIY prospects than | plumbing and electrical work.
To my mind there is a certain beauty of carefully-formed and polished copper MICC cables on cable tray, that I've never achieved with wallpaper.
Owain
Tinklemagoo wrote:

But that's the plus and the minus of 2003. You don't the craft skills you once needed (especially with plumbing) so anyone can do it. It doesn't mean that they can do it right. Witness the 'plumber' who did some work for us last year who thought it alright to run wastes uphill and round a swept tee the wrong way.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
"PoP" wrote | How many lives are they trying to save each year by virtue of this | ridiculous red tape? Anyone know how many people died last year after | sitting on an incorrectly fitted loo?
"Here are some surprising figures from ROSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents: Accidents in the bathroom were common with an estimated 28,000 involving the bath and another 11,000 the toilet. Cotton buds caused more accidents than razor blades with a whopping 9,000 a year. Sponges and loofahs caused 630 accidents whilst talcum powder accounted for over 200 incidents." http://www.accidentcompensation.com/stats.htm
Owain

geoff

Hello geoff

1,300 injuries from baking tins stuck on heads?
"......!"
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

I really don't believe it
Half baked brains?
--
geoff

     snipped-for-privacy@digdilem.org (Simon Avery) writes:

That will be all those D-I-Yers sticking their heads in the kitchen cupboards looking for the stopcock in an emergency in the dark, having just flooded the house and blown the electricity. Yup, we'd better regulate the plumbing trade thereby saving some 1,300 visits to A&E every year to have baking tins removed from heads.
--
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Hello Andrew

And has just occured to me, those are the ones who overcame their embarrassment to seek professional help at casualty, and sat waiting for ages causing light relief in the waiting room. Not including the ones who had them pulled off by friends and laughing relatives.

One does wonder how far this could go. Do you think farmers and landowners will be forced to get a plumber in to throw in a bit of mdpe and hook up a trough? Can't see that going down too well.
--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK

I really though that you were maiking this up, but having checked, one imagines that this is from slipping in or falling off, rather than being attacked by the plumbing.

As a kid, I made the bathroom into a 'skating rink' by sprinking talc on the floor: mother was not amused
Tim

A few years ago there seemed to be a spate of WC failures where the whole bowl shattered. These were old (maybe Victorian) pans and some of the injuries reported were horrendous. I sure hope that there weren't 11,000 like that!
Rod

See http://www.improbable.com/ig/ig-pastwinners.html
and scroll down to the 2000 IgNobel prize for Public Health, stopping to look at the one for Medicine on the way.
Andrew
Hall wrote:

I agree that it's open to patronage and abuse but if I wanted to know how good someone was as a plumber I think I'd rather see their work than their certificates (if any)
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser