Re: Ideas please: materials and SHAPES for hiding a satellite dish

Page 1 of 2

If you put the dish on a "portable" mount, ie. not fixed and at ground level, like with a tripod, would it not be planning exempt?
Matt
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:49:19 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Medallion Man) wrote:

Not sure if they require planning permission anyway, but...
1) Put it in a Wendy House
2) Put it on a Wendy HOuse and say it's a toy dish...
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

What's wrong with actually painting the dish?
I've seen painted dishes where the shape of the dish is effectively hidden i.e. wartime ship camouflage type patterns in suitable colours.
Make the dish look like bush/tree by painting branches and leaves. Paint it same colour as it's background.
--
Alan
wrote

yellow and black to blend into the brick wall background). Still needed p/p. I might stick the new one in the back garden and camouflage it to match the shrubbery. but it would need to be on a 9' mast to "see" over the roofline of the house, and building a mast that can take 900N wind load at 3 meters = 2700Nm of bending force is a non-trivial job. Fat steel post, concrete foundation and guy wires aplenty - I may have to start a separate thread for advice on that ;-(
Disguise it as a sundial? BAH

A sundial pointing eastish will look a bit silly, but being silly to get around planning restrictions is the point of the exercise, after all ;-) Going on the shortlist, thank you.
RichardS wrote:

Depends on wavelength.
Certainly soe micowaves will go through polyester/glass very easily, some will not.

The problem tends to be rainwater on them...
To compensate, you have to go for an even bigger dish.
Simon Gardner wrote:

Mmm. What freq are satellites on?

Known as Ku band.

About 10.7 to 12.7 GHz Ku band in Europe (for the most part).

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Mmm. Though that punched through small amounts of water.

S/N (or carrier to noise) ratio is pretty small. A couple of dBs here and there can be the difference between success and failure, especially on the edge of the footprint.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Medallion Man wrote:

Didn't think that was a water absorption freq thats all.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Medallion Man) wrote in message

That stuff they use for signs is only thin polycarbonate isn't it? Any structure on the side of the house or garden furniture made of it would do as a box surely? Cold frames, tables, garden wells - comes with a little man winding it for tracking purposes, bird tables/houses. (An owl or some such nest box in the back garden even.)
If I was doing it I'd probably cut a section out of a picnic bench and only put a square of that stuff over it if the bench wasn't enough of a hide.

Heard of these for GSM/UMTS applications, but that's an order of magnitude below Sat frequencies (0.9/1.8GHz vs 11.5GHz). Do you know of a supplier ?

I tried some plate glass yesterday during the same experiment that showed the estate agent signs to be transparent. The glass caused significant attenuation, so no go I'm afraid.
Medallion Man wrote:

Thats the one. recycles the shot from the TV signal.
It has a nice domed fiberglass cover and sits in the lawn like a relic from Planet Zarg. IMM was born in one.

What are you trying to pick up? A dish shouldn't work if flat if you have the usual off-set dish and not many people have prime focus dishes? I had a large motorised dish down the garden sticking up between the shed and garage unless you are requiring two simultaneous feeds. Concealed it reasonably well.

Actually, it does work with an offset dish, I tried it and reception was spotless - if you think about the geometry involved, the dish is just a reflector allowing the LNB to "see upward" at an angle of about 27 degrees. Whether it does that like this:
. . . \ . \ . \ .) . / . / O---/ LNB
or like this:
doesn't matter. In fact, with the dish nearly horizontal it is possible to modify the angle at which the LNB "illuminates" the dish and make the whole thing even shallower. I tried it just by holding the LNB in my hand and moving the dish around. Fiddly, but there was enough link budget to get away with it.
That should help with hiding it. But how ?
On 26 Aug 2003 11:53:51 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Medallion Man) wrote:

Lay it flat and build a small wall around it (1-2 bricks high). Cover the dish with some of the estate agent board material painted green. Turn the LNB arm into a plastic bush by cunning application of plastic foliage (or even real ivy) and call it artwork or a bush?
See also http://www.satellitedish.com/cover.htm http://www.satellitedish.com/Page_13.htm
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/