Re: How to stop fence vandals

In message , Soup writes

Nothing to do with DIY, but a kid threw a stone, chipping our window, > I chased him but couldn't catch him just as well as it turned out > (a "police" friend told me later)as he was underage and I would have > been arrested for kidnapping (stopping him running,escorting! him to > his or my house until the police arrived),assaulting a minor (any cuff >on the lug or similar),etc. . He probably would have got counseling >while I was doing jail time . This may have been tinged with a bit of > common in ye olde dayes but in the present climate .. > Talking to the parents later it was a case of "so, no one died" IANAL

That is the opposite of my recent experience. I had just left for work when my car was hit by several water bombs. I managed to grab hold of one of the kids (whom I did not know/recognise) and rang 999 (I could've swerved/caused a crash (I was on a fairly busy road)). The police took a while to arrive but did take the matter seriously & spoke to the parents (the youngster I had hold of burst into tears, confessed all and identified the rest of them). The police were prepared to take it further but I agreed to drop it since the kids (and the parents it appeared) had taken my concerns on board.

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

So, could you be 'done' for installing these windows:

Andrew Gabriel

Well done, Dave. A very sensible approach.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I take it you managed to stop your car dissolving completely. Nightmare!

Reply to
Alex Bird

are you so stupid that you don't realise what the consequences of something completely unexpected when travelling on a busy road ?

The resulting non-concious response may be totally at odds to your concious response would be if you saw and therefore had anticipation of an oncoming hazard e.g. swerve hard, or fully apply brakes immediately, leading to either you losing control or being rear ended..

How long before the little darlings progress to more 'fun' projectiles stones, concrete slabs ?

I have had various objects hit the windscreen on the motorway, from stones from little darlings having a good time, a 5" m12 bolt falling off the back of a builders van just to the left of headspace, wasting the screen and a large collared dove when i was changing lanes, i can tell you that each one is a real shock usually scaring the shit out of me, especially hitting the bird.

Reply to
David Hemmings

I sympathise with you but surely you don't suggest that all the flying birds in the country are exterminated?

By the way, collar doves are the same size, there aren't any large or small ones. Once the fly they're grown to their full size, or so near that you couldn't tell the difference once it's on your windscreen.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

To quote the fictional character Homer Simpson. D'oh. Are you on some kind of psychotropic chemical ?

Jesus Christ did that whoosh past your head or what ?

I was saying that to the idiot who thought it was ok for kids to throw things at moving cars, and that it most certainly is not ok and tried to put into context an analogy from personal experiences. I suggest you not only learn how to read english, but to understand what the words mean when strung together in a sentence.

Did you read that in a book, or from actual observation ? And yes the birds do vary quite considerably in size, not only amongst the different sexes either; it is quite easy to observe them when they are are in the garden, feeding for instance.

Reply to
David Hemmings

I think the goal here is 'communication'. *If* you can get through to them explaining *why* you want them to stop using your car as a goal post (show them damage to the paintwork and say 'you might have a car oneday' for example) you *might* get some good results?

However, as mentioned elsewhere on this thread, some of these kids know no form of communication other than violence (it was how they were brought up).

Any form or reasoning or empathy is simply interpreted as weakness.

A mate gave a 'lad' (not a kid) a good slapping for trying to break into his garage (even suggested he brought his Dad round and / or called the police) and he was never seen around there again?

Could go either way though ..

All the best ..

T i m

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees .."

Reply to
T i m