Re: Holiday UK appliances in USA

>Will things like electric shavers, hair dryers etc. from UK work >straight from the mains (using the 2 flat pin adapter) in USA? Does >one need a "step down" transformer / voltage converter?

I have a similar problem. My digital camera takes rechargeable AA bateteries which I will need to recharge. The charger has a UK plug and does not mention 110V. What would be the best option here please?

Reply to
drsap

In message , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahoo.com writes

Depending on how long you're going for I'd consider simply using non-rechargeable AA's for the time you're away. The step-up transformer I was forced to buy at Heathrow Dixon's for my son's nebuliser cost me GBP30 and weighed rather a lot!

[Anyone want to buy a...]
Reply to
NoSpamThanks

In message , snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahoo.com writes

Go somewhere else on holiday

Reply to
geoff

The cheapest way is to wait until you get there and simply buy a charger for AA batteries.

The alternative of buying a voltage convertor would be a lot more expensive.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

My digital camera accepts any input between 100 and 250 volts, and 50 or 60 Hz - so I would only need an adaptor.

Any appliance which will only run off 240-250v needs a step *up* transformer (in addition to adaptors for the pluggery) to convert 110v to 240v. Be aware also that the mains frequency in USA is 60Hz rather than 50Hz as in UK. Most things will probably work ok on 60Hz but it is as well to check the spec. or check with the manufacturer. Anything with a synchronous motor in it will run 20% faster!

Reply to
Set Square

If it can take the Lithium 1.5V AA batteries, you'll find they are less than half the price over there (were exactly half the price before the $ dropped).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Anyone know why the mains frequency is 60hz in USA and 50 hz everywhere else?

Always wondered about that Thanks Jackie

Reply to
Jackie

Try alt.engineering.electrical, but search google first as it's a FAQ.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Japan: 50Hz in the East and 60Hz in the West, both at 100v. Wacky.

Reply to
rrh