Re: Grundig Tape recorder

Page 1 of 2

Where are you getting the low audio from ? Would it be possible for you to connect this output to a HI-FI system AUX input and run it that way ?
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (MartinC) wrote:

If you're not after excessive quality, how about taking some screened leads directly from the heads and plugging the other end into the appropriate circuitry on a cassette recorder - i.e. trace where its heads connect? Press "play" on both, and see what comes out of the cassette machine.
I presume you're talking about quarter inch tape here (not knowig the machine). What speed/track format is it? If it is 3.75ips, 7.5, 15 or 30 in "stereo" or "two track" then just about any local radio station or recording studio should be able to play the tapes. They may even let you have half an hour with a nice old Studer or Revox to d-i-y if you ask them nicely enough.
If the tape is slower than 3.75ips or is "half width stereo" or "four track" (the sort of thing where the tape was either flipped over or would play both ways) then these machines, being domestic, are a bit more rare. Probably best to find some hobbyist newsgroup in that case.
HTH.
Hwyl!
M.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /

What you are trying to do probably isn't worth the effort. Tape equalisation is very exacting, needing a considerable boost at low frequencies with the risk of hum and a variable boost at high frequencies depending on how the tape was recorded NAB or CCIR.
There must be reel-to-reel tape machines available from ebay or loot, you should be able to pick up a good working machine somewhere. In the last year I have disposed of 3 studio quality machines and could not get more than 50 each for them. Most sound recording is now digital and the old tape machines sit in the corner gathering dust.
If you have a very precious recording you would like transferred to CD contact me via www.soundsaver.co.uk. Robin

Boost at both LF and HF? ;-)
--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

I worked on the design of tape recorders in the 60's when tape heads were not up today's standards. We always added HF boost on playback circuits and usually some on the record side.

Glad I never bought a tape machine from you if you *added* HF boost on replay.
--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

I'm not sure then why a good recording studio etc would have both CCIR and NAB replay test tapes - at vast cost?
I'd agree many domestic machines didn't attempt to follow any real standard which accounts for the variability when tapes were swopped.

Indeed. Some call it the good old days of pre digital. Good for keeping the engineers in work lining up machines, though.
--
*60-year-old, one owner - needs parts, make offer

We had a Ferrograph at school, series 4 it was. Super machine for its day, built like a brick shitesznhaus
--
Tony Sayer

I have to own up to something here......
When I was a young lad my Mum bought me my first tape recorder, probably at a jumble sale or something like that (no instruction manual). I'd heard the term "wiping the tape clean" for removing previous recordings, and I remember spending a non-profitable morning winding the tape between a cloth :)
I've since learned that you just bung the tapes in the washing machine.... ;)
Andrew
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 01:52:16 +0100, Dave Plowman wrote:

This is stort of nagging at my mind with the OPs original request. How old are these tapes? It's not unknown to only have one chance to play an old tape before the oxide is scraped off.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Yes - it's a technique used for tapes which are shedding oxide - but I'm told it's a once only chance to recover the original by copying. So only really applicable to valuable master tapes. I've got some 30+ years old tapes which still play ok. And they are rubbish brand BBC stuff.
--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

Dave Plowman wrote:

Print through is usually more an issue than oxide shedding on old tapes - you get ghost echoes from before oer fater the urrent replay point and ISTR a definite loss of treble as all the little magnets in the oxide gradually settle back to random.
All of which means to get the best off old tapes requiers a fully equipped digital studio, and a person who knows how to use it :-)

In fact my mums sister had a husband who worked at the BBC in the mid fifties and he tried that one on me round their house one day. He had a machine there the like of which I'd never seen, IIRC it was like an EMI BTR4 if I remember those numbers correctly..
--
Tony Sayer

BTR2 was the common one - about the size of a 'cooking theatre'...
I'll bet there are still some in use somewhere, despite being 50 years old.
--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

If you want a nice studer/revox I have a few around surplus to requirements.

--
Tony Sayer

I'd love one (not that I have many tapes - just for nostalgia value), but the wife'd kill me :-) How come you have some spare, and which models are they?
Hwyl!
M.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /

Couple of A77's B77 x 2 and a B67 undergoing refurbishment to become a piece of living room furniture!...
--
Tony Sayer

geoff

If anyone needs any transferring done, I can cope with pretty well any speed and format, including Dolby A,B and SR. Even the old 'eight' tracks.;-)
--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

MartinC wrote:

You gvae really two choices - one is hire a professional reel-to-reel and duplicate your tapes onto decent media - CD or cassette and seriously I recommend this. You will have the best chance of getting the best results.
The other is to use something like a microphone amplifier. Or possibly the phono input from a record deck and mess with the equalisation to get the sound right. From memory the equalisation is close. Probably would need a lot of bass cut , thats all.
I use that sort of technique to recover some data of an old wire recorder years ago with a graphic equaliser..