Re: Garage/Utility extension approx cost.

Somewhere between 95 and 150 per square foot dependent on MANY variables was what I was told.
It would be interesting to do a survey on the group of people who have had extensions & new builds done and work out if these figures still hold.
Andrew
Andrew Mawson wrote:

I'll start the ball rolling. 6.5m x 3.5m single storey 27,000 which, roughly in my head, is 200sq.ft. so 135/sq.ft.
Parish

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 07:57:33 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Mawson wrote:

I have long held the view that when you arrive at a budget cost - including every possible thing and contingency you can think of - double it and you'll get a figure approaching the true cost of doing the work.

My SiL did something similar, but more extensive.
Will also need piers to support the RSJ, which will eat into the width of the garage; as would having a cavity wall at the side to support the second floor. Scaffolding for building the higher wall right on the boundary might be interesting as well.
I'm in north Derbyshire. We are having an extension to our existing 2 bedroomed semi. We are building an integral garage, utility room, sunroom downstairs, with 2 bedrooms and new bathroom upstairs. The upper floor will be about 8m long by 3.5m wide and downstairs 10m x 3.5m (approx).
Three estimates from FMB registered builders (1 recommended by the architect, and 2 from the yelow pages) all came in at about 43,000 (inc VAT), give or take a couple of hundred punds either way. No wild variations, which came as a relief!
However, as the builder whol got the job (based on personal intutition really) said to me, the true cost will be about 25% higher, as specifications change. For example he's put in a PC sum of about 500 for fitting the new bathroom, whereas this would only buy a tap in my my wife's ideas for the bathroom!
Anyway, hope this helps.
Dean.

we had estimates for around 25000 to do two floors and about 15000 for just the one floor. all this included was the built structure, and just the first fix door casings and windows to make it weatherproof. no electrics, no plumbing, no plastering.
You really need the drawings to get proper estimates. You may even have to have the front top floor recessed, so as not to make the house look terraced, and to have room for two off road parking spaces. scaffolding is not a problem, they can work from inside moving up. boundaries can be a problem but with the new legislation, you can build right up to the edge and build footings on your neighbours side without his permission. This is to prevent the stupid 6" gaps appearing between extensions. He can object and appeal, but will be stopped from interfering if you are granted permission. we are in the north west by the way, semis go for about 170,000 here. just recently had the extension to the rear. single story. cost about 15000 in total, it was made more expensive due to the internal ceiling following the roof line and two large velux windows being installed. great job though, did electrics and plumbing, painting, woodwork myself, but total overall was 15000. hope this helps rob
rob wrote:

Useful info. Sounds like you have gone down a similar path. What size is your extension by the way?
Some houses in the street have garages built side by side without gap and with a continuous roof over them, they look far better. Do you know what the situation is when one person builds up to the boundary and the foundations extend over it, then the other person wants to build up to it without gap? Does the second person build on the foundations that extend onto his side? If so, what happens if those foundations are only suitable for a single story garage and the second person wants to build higher?
The reason I am asking is that the neighbouring house has a garage built up to the boundary, possibly by the original builders by the match of the brickwork. That may complicate things.