Re: Flood Damage

rain
ground
we
anyone
A flood is horrible to go through and even worse to mop up after. Definitely lift all the carpets because they'll be holding bacteria that was washed in by the water and are now a health hazard, hence the foul smell as the first warning of this. Also check that the floor shows no signs of heave (rising) or subsidence (dropping), then give the whole thing time to dry out before putting anything back.
Water damage can take weeks to show itself, so get ready for a wait before making everything good again. This might be a chance for you and your insurer to do something to prevent any reoccurrence.

rain
ground
we
we
anyone
I've been flooded several times; you have my deepest sympathy.
I agree with everything Big Wallop says and would like to add:
Open your door and windows as much as possible, without plenty of ventilation blowers and heaters only move the water round the house.
You don't mention skirting boards but most houses have them. If, as you say, the plaster is wet then the unpainted back of the skirting will be wet which will mke it bend and crack. The nails will rust, swell and discolour the paint. This may take months to reveal the full extent of the problem. I took the advice to have the walls replastered up to waist height and fitted new skirting boards. Itook the oportunity to fit lots of new electric sockets.
Where did the water come from? Was it run off from nearby fields or roads, did a ditch or stream overflow or, worst of all, an overflowing sewer?
What has your local authority said and done about the problem? Tell them what you want done; keep pushing them. When I asked my local councillor about my flooding problem he said he could do nothing and suggested writing to the local newspaper. He was also Chairman of the District Council so probably knew what he was talking about. A television camera quickly persuades a local authority of the wisdom of your argument. Make notes of what the council's officers tell you and make it clear that you are doing so, ask them their names.
Ask your neighbours whether it has happened before.
Don't be tempted/persuaded to settle too quickly with your insurance company.
John, and Big Wallop -
Thanks, both of you, for your useful replies.
David