Re: Extending a ring circuit - attached files (1/1)

Hi there, help appreciated on the following:

> >My house is a small 2 bed Victorian terrace - rewired probably in the >early 80s/late 70s. > >The good bit is that the kitchen has a dedicated circuit and there are >direct spurs from the consumer unit to the cooker and central heating. > >The bad bit is how power is fed from the sockets in the bedrooms to >downstairs. The bedrooms are serviced by a ring and then two spurs lead >from each bedroom to provide two sockets in both the dining room and >living room (ie 4 sockets upstairs act as spurs to provide 4 sockets >dowstairs). > >Two sockets each for the dining room and living room is totally >inadequate so I've extension cables all over the place. > >What I'd like to do is to provide extra sockets downstairs by getting >rid of the spurs and extending the upstairs ring main to include the >living room and dining room - makes sense to me as usage of the bedrooms >and the downstairs rooms is mutually exclusive and the bedroom sockets >only ever provide power for table lamps and a couple of radios. > >Anyway, I've attached a couple of small (16K) pdfs that show the >existing circuit and my proposed changes - any comments would be much >appreciated! > >Best regards, > >Rob

It's certainly better to have this reorganised in a ring arrangement rather than the spurs that you have now.

It would be better still to have separate rings for upstairs and downstairs, even with a relatively small house.

Also, any sockets (usually on the ground floor) that could be used to plug in portable appliances used out of doors should be additionally protected using a 30mA RCD.

A good way to do this, assuming that you have space in the consumer unit, would be to re-organise it so that lighting circuit(s) and perhaps a specific spur for freezer and fridge (plus heating) are connected upstream of an RCD fitted in the consumer unit and circuit breakers for other circuits are downstream of it.

Reply to
Andy Hall