Re: Dry Rot - The Definitive Answer?

Thanks for your feedback. Are you getting professional help for your

> rot? Do you have it in the mortar too? Are there any useful other > books/sites to visit on this? I have actually read so much on the > internet on dry rot. I found these useful >

> > > I still do not have the definitive answer > > I am surface treating the brick inside with masonry > > steriliser for dry rot (PRICEY STUFF! from Triton actually. I want to > > know if this stuff kills the dry rot by inviting it in (water source) > > or just prevents the rot from going to that area of masonry in which > > case the rot might find a small cm I missed and carry on?

There is a surprising dearth of experts in this thread, and I am not about to offer myself as one. However, a builder puchased a house opposite us, a Victorian terrace, in order to renovate it and sell it on. He was choked to discover it had dry rot that had spread up behind the plaster from the ground to the first floor. It did not have a basement. I saw some of the work he di to rectify it, and it consisted mainly of hacking off all the plaster and drilling a hole (or possibly two?) into each and every brick, and injecting some fluid into the holes. I presume woodwork was also replaced. I have no idea whether all that was essential, but I do know that everything he did was eating into his profit, so I assume it was essential.

Could you get Rentokill or some such outfit to give you a 'free survey' and quote? Perhaps your mortgage company would give an additional loan for such work - as it is protecting 'their' asset. It might be worth asking the council if they can offer any advise - or even a grant.

What I mean is can I get a treatment which is systemic, that will > actually kill off this horrible fungus or will the treated masonry > ONLY stop the tide? But the fungus will find other places to lurk and > grow?????

Have you done a google group search?

I have couple of url's you may not have seen;...

DRY ROT DEVELOPING A LESS DISRUPTIVE APPROACH TO DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT (Presentation to Glasgow West Conservation Trust Masterclass Series)

See also McGill's home page

A somewhat less erudite page

Phil Addison