Re: Digiboxes catch fire in power surge

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 01:29:57 -0000,it is alleged that "R. Mark Clayton" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

What immediately occurred to me was an open circuit neutral somewhere, causing the neutral point to wander around the 0v point, causing the effects noted: "The power was so strong one minute the houses were lit up like Blackpool Pier and the next they were dim like candle light."

As you mentioned, SMPS units hate this. I'd be surprised if a few computers etc hadn't died also.

The 'only affecting sky digiboxes' part is probably part of the Daily Mail's usual conspiracy theories and generall scaremongering.

Reply to
Chip

They didn't actually say they were Sky digiboxes at all. The photo shows a Virgin installation.

Reply to
Zero Tolerance