Re: Berry Magicoal Berryblaze gas fire

Thanks for the info....it's an old gas fire I've to service and it may well be spilling (could be the flue) so it would be nice to know a bit about the fire first

Reply to
Dave

Fore warned is fore armed so to speak. It isn't by any chance fitted to an old chimney ? If it is, then is the chimney lined with cope ? Or does the flue just need swept ?

Lots and lots of questions and no answers yet till you get there. Still, it can't be that bad. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

They seem to think the chimney was swept last year "well the one in the other room was anyway".............it's been fitted for 17 years.

Reply to
Dave

If its only started to show signs now Dave, after 17 years, then it sounds like a good system. That's if it is spillage (?)

I once saw a tangled mess of spider webs and muck that had fallen into a lump inside a horizontal section of duct, the flue hadn't been used for quite a few months during the summer. Well this lump of muck would have choked a horse, and when the system was fired back up in the winter time, it nearly killed everyone in the place with the amount gases it was pumping back in to the rooms.

When the maintenance guy was asked if he'd checked it out as he should before he had restarted the system, he said he'd looked along the flue pipe and thought the lump was some kind of baffle that had been installed to stop draughts blowing back in. He's learned his lesson now though. :-))

Good luck with it.

Reply to
BigWallop

it's not till the end of the month and I'm off on holiday today, so thanks and bye for now

Dave

Reply to
Dave