Radiators and flushing

Three years ago I moved into a house with a gas CH system. From day one the 3-way switch has made a noise when changing positions - something like a lump hammer smacking a pipe. The BG bloke changed the switch in an effort to fix this and it worked for a week or so then back to normal. (I didn't mind too much as it didn't cost me anything under 3* plan, but I still have the problem).

One radiator has always needed bleeding every couple of weeks and splutters dark water although all of the other radiators seem to run clear.

Recently the two radiators at the end of the system have started to stay cold at the bottom while getting only lukewarm at the top.

Someone who claims to know what he's talking about tells me I need a powerflush but I'm reluctant to do this without being sure if I need it or if it will solve all of the problems due to the cost involved. What can I do, short of a powerflush? How can I be sure a powerflush is what the system needs?

Any advice very gratefully received (esp regarding the noise from the switch as it's driving us nuts).

Thanks. Paul

Reply to
pdduggan

A powerflush may well be needed to treat the SYMPTOMS it will do nothing to address the slamming of the 3 port valve, the air induction and the corrosion. These problem may well be all coming from the same fault.

Whoever puts this system right will almost certainly have to move some pipes and/or reverse some components.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

SYMPTOMS it will do nothing

Thanks for the reply. You seem to be suggesting that there's something more serious wrong with the system. When you talk about moving pipes and reversing things it implies you have a general idea what the fault is. Can you explain what you're thinking to someone who is a bit clueless when it comes to heating systems? I get the idea I'm going to need someone out to look at this. Would you recommend finding someone Corgi registered in the YPs or getting BG involved since I have a maintenance contract with them?

Thanks again.

Reply to
pdduggan

the SYMPTOMS it will do nothing

BG will treat the symptoms but from what I've seen of their methods would have difficulty getting to grips with root causes.

The better installers are probably not found in the YP.

Find out who your neighbours use.

There is likely air induction cause by a faulty pipework layout.

If you have a 'N' post code email me.

Reply to
Ed Sirett