questions on my leaking conservatory

Here's some photos of the guilty botch job:

Pictures silicone_sealed and silicon_sealed_closeup show how two polycarbon= ate panels have been sealed using silicone sealant. The sealant is firmly e= mbedded inside the panel on the right, but is free to slide over the left p= anel. As a result, I suspect that water is managing to get under the sealan= t by capillary action. How would you guys go about ressurecting this botch = job?

How do I remeove the panel shown in picture panel_fixing? There doesn't see= m to be an easy way to remove the metal fixing, and I can't seem to pull th= e panel off.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
blackhead

polycarbonate panels have been sealed using silicone sealant. The sealant is firmly embedded inside the panel on the right, but is free to slide over the left panel. As a result, I suspect that water is managing to get under the sealant by capillary action. How would you guys go about ressurecting this botch job?

seem to be an easy way to remove the metal fixing, and I can't seem to pull the panel off.

polycarbonate and so prevent water from getting underneath the seal.

underneath the seal.

I don't think there is the possibility of finding an adhesive that will "permanently stick to polycarbonate". You can probably find some stuff that will be more-or-less watertight for a few months, but as soon as you get a decent frost, or a frost-melt-refreeze then water will seep in, freeze, expand and push the joint apart. When you finish off the bottoms of upvc roofs, it's usual to tidy up the end of the sheet with a prefabricated closure, like this:

[1] Although whether it is anything more than decorative is open to debate. If you do fit these, it appears to be good practice to spread around some "low modulus" acrylic - special stuff for upvc roofs - to help seal them.

So far as removing the panel goes, be prepared for the possibility (or near certainty) that if you *can* remove the fixing bar it will be destroyed in the process and you'll need a new one to put in its place.

[1] satisfied customer, no commercial connection.
Reply to
root