Query re plaster board and fixing/jointing etc

I have recently removed a load of grotty wall tiles from a small bathroom. The walls are plasterboard on studding-even the external walls.

It now looks like this..

've never done any plasterboard fixing before but its a small job so i thought id give it a go. I've already tried a few local plasterers but no replies yet..!

I've been here..

a brilliant and very informative site it is,,

apparently i need to use Gyrpoc moisture resist wall board.

Despite reading the install guides on the website,i couldnt quite grasp the business of taping joints and micrometal mesh for external corners eg window niches etc..

Can someone please explain the process of taping joints, fixing this metal mesh on external corners and also what products i need?,i understand its best to use the proper fixing screws to prvent boards from coming loose in future etc..

Also the board is available in straight and tapered edge,which is best for a novice in this location??

Thanks

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Umm.

Sort of.

Plasterboard is fairly waeka stiff, bu plaster is even weaker.

Ther are tow ways to 'do' plasterbard.

One is 'drywall' technique where you use tapered boards and, usually, screws to hold it down. If you get the torque juts right the screws go into the board far enough to be below the surface, but not far enough to actually break the cardboard surface and then essentially fail to hold it on place at all.

Then you fill the v shaped sections between boards with a filler, and the screw heads, and paint straight on the cardoard, or paper over it.

More npormally te whole shebang is used simply as a substaret for a plastering job. In this case you can use clouts to hold it up, and every joint beween tow bits of board gets a scrim tape slapped over it, to provide some strength when its plastered to prevent cracks. Mostly this works. Sometyyies it doesnt.

External edges on 90 degree bends are fragile things, so metral edged beads are ande that can be nailed over the joint prior to plastering. These provide a nice metal edge to plaster to, and also resist knocks and bamngs.

Or you can chamfer off the plasterbaord and, when skimming, use a radiused tool to form the plaster into a nice curve.

Putting up plasterbaord is very easy. Skimming it s not.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

boarding especially as it a bathroom, a skim plaster coat should be sufficient. Either get a quote for that, or DIY. this subject has been done to death on here do a Google search re, plastering.

a good start.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark

I agree. I'd re-tile the whole thing on the existing surface. Seal it with a coat of oil based gloss paint and use a high spec adhesive. New boards would mean taking the bath out, re-plumbing etc. Seems like making work to me, and the end result won't reflect it.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Looks fine to me. I'd just peel off any loose paper and tile over. Use a top quality adhesive suitable that claims suitability for swimming pools. Then ensure that you follow the instructions, including, very specifically, how to tile using a 100% contact technique. You do not want dot-n-dab for a shower area. Possibly consider using a PVA sealer, but check compatibility with your chosen adhesive first.

I'd recommend the more expensive BAL products for ready mix or Ardex Arduflex for a powder mix. Don't touch anything that claims to be usable as a grout as well. Don't touch anything that doesn't mention swimming pools.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yep,im the op and the thing is,it was fully tiles and looked awfull as its a very small bathroom, i just want to paint it a nice bright colour,add plenty of lighting and half tile round the bath to give a feeling of space and light,,not fully tile..

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I had a very small bathroom and found that fully tiling it made it look considerably larger. I did it in a two tone effect, with a darker colour below a dado line and almost white above. The colours were generally blue tending and marble effect. The best touches were tiling the bath panel, using a concealed cistern toilet, a semi-inset basin and using coving.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle