Putting Lead Strips on Windows

Hi We've bought a pack of self adhesive lead strip to stick on our windows to give a leaded glass effect. Can anyone advise us on the usual way to fit the diamond pattern to the window.

Should the window be divided into an exact number of diamond shapes so at the edge of each windows the lead finishes where two strips cross, or doesn't it matter as long as facing edges are equal.

The lead comes with a template that you can stick on the glass to line up the lead but of course it doesn't fit our windows exactly so using it would mean the pattern would finish with part of a diamond at the edges of the window. Does this matter? would it look odd? What's the normal practice with window manufacturers, do they scale the pattern to the window or keep all the diamonds the same size and have parts of a shape at the edges where necessary?

Many thanks Roger

Reply to
Roger

Hi

Looking at mine right now - the answer is to centre the pattern. Doesn't matter if you get odd part-diamonds at the edges - but you should match left with right and top with bottom - ie get the same size odd bit of diamond both sides.

In short - aim for perfect symmetry - or it *will* look odd.

HTH

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S

If you look at windows made by such as Anglian, you'll see that there are part diamonds at the edges. However they (Anglian) do take care to carry the line across from one pane to another. They reckon it looks better (I got a visit to the factory). I'm not sure myself. They mark out the pattern of line on a table then lie the pane down on top.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

Excellent point - I hadn't noticed that (having only half drawn the curtains!). Just had a look and indeed mine are also like that (which is surprising as the house was built by Builder Bob's cousin from Texas).

Timbo

Reply to
Tim S

It'll look odd anyway - given that it's stuck on perfectly flat glass. Real leaded windows never have the panels perfectly aligned, so reflect the light differently.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeah - well you're right. But I took that as read ;-o

Real leaded windows look cool - but as far as the fake stuff goes, I think that diamond beats georgian - which IMO looks *really* plasticy when done like this.

Tim S

Thanks everyone, some really useful advise.

Roger

Reply to
Roger