pump action bog?

Anyone care to postulate what's wrong with a (traditional style) loo whose handle "has to be pumped" to flush?

TIA Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

New diaphragm is needed in the syphon. They are usually only made out of polythene sheet.

Reply to
GB

Agreed. Needs to be fairly stiff - like DPM polythene. I had to do one recently. After a while pumping no longer works and you have to resort to a bucket to flush Toolsatan sell replacements 51242,57048,71576 (different sizes/shapes) all 70p for 5!!

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Normally a failed water lifting diaphragm.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's what I was told. So I took it all apart, including getting a Dremel so I could cut the nuts to release the bolts holding the tank to the bowl, and found that the diaphragm was perfectly sound. Cleaned everything up, re-assembled it all, and it still behaves the same as before. I think the problem is too short a 'throw' on the lifting mechanism before the tank top stops it rising. I need to shorten the connecting wire. It's not enough of a problem to spend more time on, though, as an 'authoritative' action usually works.

Good luck.

Reply to
Davey

Our downstairs loo needs a new diaphragm *again*. Grrr.

Reply to
GB

If it's the diaphragm, it'll get worse and worse. If it's always been like that and is staying the same, that's different.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

As others have said it is the diaphragm. Our downstairs one was like that when we moved in, I did a 'temporary fix' one weekend using two layers cut from a plastic pig feed sack. It was still going strong four years later when the bog was pulled out and replaced in our house refurbishment :)

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

But since you have to remove it to change the diaphragm, you might just as well replace the whole thing for less than a £5.

On older siphons, especially if those bloody awful blue loo things have been used, the siphon body could have a split or pinhole.

Don't forget a close couple kit for £3.36.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Plastic washer is knackered. The one that looks like a sheet of polythene. the suction is reduced due to the leakage and fast pumping can get the siphon working if its fast enough to outstrip the leaking. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It's wear on the edge of the thing and not immediately apparent to casual glance. You may as well get a complete new syphon as some else said. Dirt cheap. DON'T be tempted by one of those useless flapper things.

Reply to
harryagain