PU foam gun - big plus

I've had a Rawlplug foam gun for a couple of months and only got around to using it properly today (I'd pissed around with one previously, but not for long). By 'eck, it will pay for itself in the long term - I will have a need for many cans of foam over the next year or two and the gun makes the bead of foam so much more controllable and as big/small as you like - also puts it exactly where you want it.

Reply to
grimly4

How easy is it to clean after each use?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Ensure you store it can-up (i.e. how you would hold it to use) and ALWAYS with a can attached containing foam, not empty.

Screw the shut off valve tightly closed when you're done and it'll last almost indefinately.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

I give it a squirt every few weeks to make sure there is some fresh stuff in the gun. If you leave a can for many months it can lose pressure and then the stuff gets air/moisture and it cures. My last gun died that way. This is especially liable to happen if the can is nearly run out. Apparently if that does happen you can take the gun to pieces and mechanically remove the foam. I with I had tried that, but I chucked it in the skip and got a new one! Also I note the comment about storing it can upwards. I'll reposition my gun when I get home ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I had a can of foam cleaner which I squirted through afterwards - that was easily done. I only used a fraction of the cleaning can, so it makes the cost of cleaning not as bad as I expected, but I still sort of resent paying ?6 per tin for nothing but acetone.

Reply to
grimly4

Both points noted, ta.

Reply to
grimly4

So presumably with that level of control you could add buoyancy to a canoe with perfect accuracy?

Reply to
The Other Mike

I wouldn't expect so, as canoes are a total law unto themselves.

Reply to
grimly4

Like many others I've found it to be very versatile indeed, and was recently surprised how good it is for fitting skirting boards. As for canoes it would cost nothing to do a few experiments checking porosity and bouyancy ets before trying it out. It does seem to degrade with exposure to UV but that shouldn't be an issue inside a hull, nor should the final appearance although something like a temporary bulkhead with expansion hole could be improvised to shape it according to one's needs.

djornsk

The Other Mike

In article , The Other Mike writes

Sounds tongue in cheek but watch out, aerosol foam is not closed cell so will absorb water, dramatically affecting its boyancy ;-).

Boyancy foam needs to be 2 part closed cell which, as you pointed out, is er, less controllable.

Reply to
fred

Nah, no strength in the bubbles/cells until they're set.

Reply to
fred

0000, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I think you will find the reference to a "canoe" is a reference to this story:

if it isn't, it ***** well ought to be!)

Reply to
Martin Bonner