PTFE Gas Tape

So you can't connect a bottle of fuel gas to a regulator on a high pressure oxidant line.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

The same convention ("left-hand for hydrogen") is used by at least two Russian mudlogging companies operating in two parts of Siberia separated by the guts of 700km, and by a Romanian mudlogging company off-shore Tanzania.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Multi-Cylinder Packs? Or "gas racks" as they'd popularly be called. A single cylinder would last a 6 weeks to 2 months of operations, with a

50% cycle of operational / downmanned. Keeping a bigger stock would mean that the bottles could easily go out of test, or the gas rack. Or the certificate of conformity on the gas (analytical grade, remember) would expire. And don't forget the several months the bottles would spend sitting in the gas cage onshore too. Actually, the figures I gave were for the system at Major Company, who I left a good while ago for Small Company. Small Company have a gas system that only uses H2 for fuel, not for carrier. Consequently the H2 gas requirements were smaller, and the issues of keeping redundancy at the system level without having thousands of pounds worth of gas racks and bottles on rental were paradoxically worse. Did you use enough gas that it was worthwhile owning your own bottles and racks? Not us - Linde would send us a nice little (ha, ha!) rental bill every month, which Muggins had to check to make sure that we didn't go into "rust penalty" on a bottle. Yes, we did try to use hydrogen generators. Have you seen the cost of the ion-exchange filter packs? Bottle gas is cheaper and easier.
Reply to
Aidan Karley

"Aidan Karley" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@major.free.email.provider.invalid...

What is "the guts of 700km"?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Something between 600Km ~ 699.999 Km ?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Multi cylinder packs, used as fuel in o2/h2 burners to work silica.

Reply to
badger.badger

Without getting out an atlas, approximately 700km. But depending on the projection used, it could be as much as 1000km, or as little as 500km. It does take 12 hours on a train (low priority, passenger), plus 4 hours drive between the two sites, but since GPS is a prison-introducing technology, I'm not exactly sure if the road route and the rail route are sub-parallel, orthogonal, or even anti-parallel. /self: Gets out atlas and job tickets.

23:15 sunset, yes. Mosquitos ++ [SNIP]

The great circle formula from the "aviation formulary" (a long-gone site, but it's been accurate enough for my uses for years) tells me those two locations would be 488km apart, if the earth were a close approximation to a sphere. Which it is. That's a shortest-line-between distance. Given that there are several major river valleys to follow and cross in that distance, and a couple of watersheds to go over, something not far short of 700km sounds like a good guesstimate of the distance between the two locations.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

H2 would be two nines or so pure ; chromatographic grade hydrogen (should be / is) five nines. 99.999% Every bottle needs it's certificate of conformity, and they aren't issued for more than a few months after production and testing.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

I'm not exactly sure if the road

Out of curiosity, what is the state objection to GPS then?

Reply to
John Rumm

Only N5.0? We used certified N6.0 or better gases for processes!, The burning grade h2 IIRC was N4.5 last time we had some...

Reply to
badger.badger