ptfe tape for gas

You can buy PTFE tape marked as suitable for gas. However, I was told b

a corgi registered plumber that it should not be used for gas! The reckoned you should use gas jointing paste only. Any views on this

-- t60

Reply to
t60

You can buy PTFE tape marked as suitable for gas. However, I was told b

a corgi registered plumber that it should not be used for gas! The reckoned you should use gas jointing paste only. Any views on this

-- t60

Reply to
t60

I've heard of PTFE being used on copper compresion fittings, and joint paste on malleable iron fittings, so I think both are acceptable in their own ways. Joint paste is the way to go though, but only if you know you're applying it properly.

Reply to
BigWallop

PTFE for gas is acceptable for pipework upto 2" and can be used on pipework upto 4" if checked with manufacturer on lower pressure gas (21mb). We use it all the time on pipe upto 2" but then use hemp/paste on larger diameter pipework.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Ordinary tape should should not be used for gas. See FAQ.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yes there are different grades of PTFE, inc. oil free for oxygen.

As far as nat. gas installs I would tend to use the paste as its supposed to be non-hardening, so a joint that gets moved ever-so-slightly remains sealed, PTFE after time will tend to set, any movement=leak.

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

I thought hemp & paste was now only permitted on long screws?

Reply to
John Stumbles

From what i have been told (before my time!!) it was ok to use, then banned, now ok to use again, has been for a few years now i think. Long screw.....sod that, use a union, much easier!! ;o)

Lee