Proposal to rename the group...

uk.politics.all.bbc.and.eu.and.renewable.energys.fault

Reply to
Adrian

Perhaps we should crosspost DIY issues to uk.politics etc?

Its a simple matter to ignore threads in Thunderbird. What news program do you use?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Perhaps.

Why on earth would I want to use a mail client for usenet? But, no matter the client, if I wanted to ignore the threads, I'd ignore them...

Pan.

Reply to
Adrian

You wouldn't... however since its a mail AND usenet client it would not pose a problem in this case.

So you seem to be saying that you would rather read them and then complain about the content? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Quite. He has already ruined other groups by his continual OT posts and looks to want to do it here too.

I've no real objection to the odd OT post - but when they are frequent and all on the same themes they become as bad as those from other paranoid types like religious nutters.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Comment upon, rather than complain about.

TBH, it's quite refreshing that there's still one usenet group alive. Even if the title does bear the scantest relation to the contents at times.

Reply to
Adrian

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 14:26 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And has the cheek to take umbrage when he misunderstands a joke and thinks it's an OT opinion... Assuming we are talking about the same person...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Unfortunately, you cannot delete or rename groups. If you look at the list you will see some very oddly named ones from the early days when students thought it was funny to send bogus control messages with silly group names in them. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

Well as I've said before, nobody forces people to read threads or posts from any individual do they? I think having viewed this group for some years,t here is a long tradition of off topic messages but still as long as the subject line is kep current to the actual subject, one can just read and reply to thoseone wants to. I do notlike crossposts to many groups, as not every group is so tolerant as this one is, and I respect those who are not unlike spammers who just see usenet as another resource to use. Brian

Reply to
Brian_Gaff

Well to be fair, there is still a reasonable amount of hard core DIY going on as well - perhaps not quite as much as in the past, but it could be just we are getting old!

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Worse still is Phil Allison from Australia you should see his over on uk.rec.audio!...

Reply to
tony sayer

The problem as I see it is that while I killfile the likes of the Wretched Very Far Right and Poisonous £er some misguided individuals respond to their unpleasant ramblings hence they appear without warning unless the topic is obviously one of the clearly identifiable way off topic rants.

Reply to
rbel

Perhaps the ones who needed to ask questions are getting more experienced. :-)

My current jobs are trimming, painting and fitting a new bathroom door for a friend and preparing, painting and fitting two garden gates for myself. Nothing interesting enough to write about.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

alt.usage english is a very well used newsgroup and surprisingly devoid of trolls.

Reply to
Doctor Bod

In message , Nightjar writes

I still have the broken garage door to fix. If I hit problems or learn anything useful I'll report back.

Current annoyance is some stuff I incautiously downloaded as an explorer

8.0 upgrade. Seems to have an auto overnight start feature such that I have an advert waiting for me each morning!
Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Tuesday 28 January 2014 17:58 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

My problems are often very "interesting"[1] but I could honestly do without them!

The arab/chinese definition, not the english one!

Reply to
Tim Watts

But still more interesting than BBC left wing bias. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ISTR a BBC DG saying that his measure of getting the balance right was not getting no complaints about bias, but getting roughly the same number complaining about left wing bias as complained about right wing bias.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , Brian_Gaff writes

Well, you can (as in there is a procedure for doing this involving control messages)

But it would be a long winded process, involving the UK Usenet committee, lots of circular arguing, voting etc.

You can find info on the management of the uk.* Usenet hierarchy at:

Reply to
chris French

Sssssh. You'll tempt fate.

Reply to