Problem with beading showing through new plaster.

I recently had some walls plaster skimmed. I allowed the plaster to dry for

1 week. I noticed then that I could see an outline of the corner beads (galvanized thin coat type) but assumed that was due to the thinness of the plaster.

I have sealed the walls with a 1:5 water/Gripfill PVA solution and applied 2 coats of B&Q "Colours" vinyl matt emulsion paint, allowing each to dry thoroughly. I am disappointed to find that all of the beading shows through as a lighter colour than the rest of the paint.

I reckon that I need to somehow seal the beading again, but what should I use?

Thanks.

Reply to
Dark Matter

The plaster should not cover the rounded corner of the strip -- it is there to give you a nice consistant rounded corner.

Are you sure it's not just the change in angle? Or maybe the paint coverage is inadiquate?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The corner edge was not plastered and it was the whole 1" wide bead which showed through the paint. I emailed the "Brewers" (trade decorating supplies) website and received a very helpful reply.......

Never seal a newly plastered wall with PVA as is prevents the vinyl emulsion from curing properly. The best thing to use is watered down emulsion paint - which is what I always used previously.

Brewers recommended that I use a stain block ("Zinsser BullsEye 1-2-3") over the affected area. One coat of that followed by a further 2 coats of emulsion has solved the problem. Phew!

Reply to
Dark Matter

Paint the beading with a near matching oil paint first.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)