Old wallpaper paste showing through paint!

Hi
I need some advice. I've been having my house done up and they stripped off the old paper but didn't wash off the old paste properly. Now they have done several coats of paint but it is very patchy and I'm sure it's becuase of the old paste. Is there anything we can do to solve this?
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Can you describe the "patchiness" you are experiencing. Has the paint not covered sufficiently to obscure the colour of what is under it, is the surface uneven, or is it peeling off?
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

A bit of everything really! In some places, especially the ceiling, it looks as though you need another coat. The decorator said he has already done 3 coats and it still looks like it is only 1 coat. Also there are quite a few bubbly bits and the texture is quite rough. I'm annoyed as we did the lounge oursleves and washed the walls and it was fine. Now in these rooms I'm worried it is too late as the paint is already on!
[...]

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds to me like the decorators are at fault. First, they should have washed the walls prior to painting. Second, they should have rubbed them down (if by "texture is quite rough" you mean that there are lumps and bumps). Third, they should have used decent paint. If the coverage is poor after three coats then either they're over-thinning it, or it's total crap.
If you haven't paid them yet, show them what's wrong. If they don't put it right to your satisfaction, don't pay them. If you want to put the job right, I would advise lining the walls and repainting. You'll end up with a great finish (I line everything before painting).
Edward
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yup
Yup
Yup.
BTDTGTTS
Rub down the bubbly bits, go over it with Dulux 'Once' or Wickes 'Master' One Coat Matt Emulsion
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk