Primer / filler

I've got a large board over my garage door to paint. It's got quite a coarse grain, and I swear last time I had to paint something similar, I bought a can of primer / filler to give a smooth base for a top coat, but I can't buy one or find one on the web for love nor money. Are it available? Can I add some filler powder to primer to make it? |P

Reply to
I Podius

Prime with an oil paint, then give it a couple of coats of watery Pollyfilla, leaving to dry between coats. Rub down with very fine abrasive. Then paint as normal.

Don't think it's an official method, but worked well on a very absorbent rough grained plywood door I once had.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

most wood primer IS primer filler.

First step - sand the lot with an orbital.

Then prime..inside I use acrylic water based. Outside..dunno..

Then sand that.

Then do it again.

Then when you have a fairly smooth base, start the undercoat. Sand that.

Do it again.

Now carefully apply the top coat and pray it doesn't run. If it does, sand that ...And so it again.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher