Price of radiators

My elderly mum is planning to have a CH radiator replaced with a smaller one so that she can have a new doorway installed. She called out a plumber.

The plumber informed her that it was going to be very expensive because the price of radiators had sky rocketed in the past six months.

Now, I know that the price of scrap steel has gone up over the past few years, but has this been reflected in the price of CH radiators?

Have the prices of radiators rocketed?

Very roughly what price would it cost to replace a radiator and re-direct about 3 feet of copper pipework?

She also asked the same plumber the cost of overhauling her boiler because "it intermittently makes a noise". I know for a fact that it is the electric fan that is making the noise..something that a squirt of WD40 should cure.

The plumber told her that any unusual noise from a boiler means it is worn out and should be replaced.

Hmmmm!

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

We just replaced the rad in a bedroom. New one measures 1300mm x 600mm, finned at the back (can't remember the Btu or wattage numbers, sorry) and cost £43 +vat at Berrys, a local builders merchant.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

Is that vastly different to a few years ago?

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Surely that's irrelevant! Even if the same radiator would have cost £3.90 a few years ago, it only costs £43 now. Radiators are cheap. As far as the rest of the job - half a day? A day? So it'll cost 1x radiator plus say 6 hours labour.

Reply to
Grunff

Get another quote . Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

WD40 only gives a temporary fix. Use proper oil.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But don't go squirting WD40 into your boiler. Not only is it unlikely to help the sealed bearings, it may cause further bad effects.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well, yes.

'tis a bit different to a new boiler though!

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Yes. But plenty of plumbers seem incapable of replacing electrical components in a boiler, so like IMM always recommend a new system boiler as that's all they're up to fitting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Slight difference in profit as well...

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

After 8 hours my reply hasn't appeared yet so here it is again - apologies to those who may see it twice :o)

We just replaced the rad in a bedroom. New one measures 1300mm x 600mm, finned at the back (can't remember the Btu or wattage numbers, sorry) and cost £43 +vat at Berrys, a local builders merchant.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

About £30-50 per rad and about £3 for the pipe and £5 for a bag of joints/solder, etc. 2-3 hours work to replace it and test. Should really do a chemical flush to rinse out the flux, bits of steel wool, etc. Then put in inhibitor (£30-60 for the two if you use decent stuff, ie. Fernox, etc.).

Run a mile. Sounds like a crook. Boiler noises can often be fixed with a chemical flush. Depends where the noise is coming from.

al

That was my feeling on the situation

99.9% sure it's the fan in the fan assisted flue.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x