Previous front door varnish still shows through after 2 coats of Ronseal Outdoor Woodstain

We followed the instructions on the tin: removed all the old flaking varnish, sanded back to wood where the varnish came off and all the remaining varnish was keyed effectively.

However, now we have painted the 2nd layer of woodstain, the previous varnish is still showing through. Maybe the old varnish has a denser pigment? It isn't opaque but is is definitely not as translucent as the mahogany 5 year satin woodstain (water based).

What would you recommend we do to stop it looking patchy? Painting a

3rd layer, 4th..., using another product on top?

As the sanding took over 3 hours, ideally we would like to avoid going back to the wood again!

Any advice is much appreciated as it is for our front porch.

Reply to
Alex J

You should have removed *all* of the old varnish, using chemical paint stripper, sanding, scraping or even burning off.

Definitely not.

I am afraid that that is what you will need to do. Alternatives are going to look like crap, I'm afraid.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall