Power Supply

I've a KVM computer switch that's crying out for a 12v 1A PSU.

In my box of spares I've a 12v 900mA and a 10v 1A.

Should I attempt to run this off either, or stop being a lazy sod and get myself to Maplin tomorrow?

If I were to use either, which would be best? And if something were to break, would it be the KVM or the PSU?

Reply to
Alan Kirkup

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:42:08 +0100, Alan Kirkup wrote the following to uk.comp.misc:

What model? I've used Belkin and Adderview ones that *can* use a PSU but normally don't need to because they get their power from the keyboard connector.

mh.

Reply to
Marcus Houlden

Hi Marcus, It's a 16 port Belkin. I've used 4/8 port Adderview's without PSU's, but wondered about a 16-port one without external power. Maybe I should just give it a go.... Can't be any worse than plugging in an under-rated supply !

Reply to
Alan Kirkup

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:42:08 +0100, Alan Kirkup mused:

I'd use the 12V 900mA one. (Well, not strictly true, I have loads of

12VDC 1A and bigger PSU's for CCTV equipment so would obviously use a 1A one ;) )

If you use the 900mA one then it'd probably be the PSU, but for 100mA I doubt it would fry.

Reply to
Lurch

On 30 Apr 2007 23:38:38 GMT, Marcus Houlden mused:

I use a PSU on my KVM (definitely not a Belkin) because it saves it switching when PC's are rebooted. Not essential but handy, because I'm too lazy to lean over and press the button on the KVM, or press the 5 button keyboard shortcut sequence to switch screens.

Reply to
Lurch

The 12V 900mA provided it is regulated. If its unregulated it could chuck out 12V-15V or possibly more.

Reply to
dennis

Run it from the 12V 900mA, which is probably under-rated anyway and 1A seems to be rather more than a KVM switch would need. Try it - can't do any harm.

Reply to
Cheemag

Consensus seems to be to go with the 12v 900mA, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for the help all.

Reply to
Alan Kirkup

but concensus is not the way to find the truth. The kvm may be unable to handle an unregulated supply.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why would a KVM need a power supply? Mine doesn't. It's only a switch!

Reply to
Bob Martin

Many of them have electronics in them to retain state of the peripheral (keyboard or mouse). This becomes more important when switching between different operating systems that may set the hardware up differently.

Most modern KVMs can use power from one of the connected ports. That's even true of some sold with PSUs - for example the good old OmniCube.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You're quite right, I'll make sure it's a temporary fix.. Have ordered a

12v 1A regulated.. £5 for that cheaper than a new KVM!
Reply to
Alan Kirkup

Try reading the rest of the thread, the answers there if you look.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq