Plumbers Wrench

Did you not ask him? One very useful tool for u bends made of plastic is a strap wrench. Somone has walked off with mine.. sulk.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:k563i0$dr6$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Yes - I also told him I thought he was too heavy handed when tightening compression fittings. However, he had some skills! He was very good at planning the work and commissioning the boiler. Some good explanations to my question - thanks.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

A joiner in my family has a remarkable ability to do calculations involving fractions in his head.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Not possible. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That looks interesting, thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

adjustment; up puts least load on the adjusted jaw and might be the better way for cheap wrenches.

Reply to
PeterC

> Definitely. I've got one of those. Tho' what I could do with is

The set of concentric box spanners are ideal for those - once you have one on that pesky slim nut for tightening the tap assembly, you can fit both the other spanners to it to make the whole assembly long enough to drop below the whole basin and hence easy to get at...

Reply to
John Rumm

I've got a selection of open ended imperial spanners inherited and picked up from carboots that cover most compression fittings. Far easier to wield than either adjustables or Stilsons in many situations.

Good (Bahco) adjustable spanners are worth the money compared to the cheapies but, if I can, I get the Stilsons in their instead.

Boringly, when in car repairing mode, said Stilsons come in jolly useful for replacing tie-rods where there's a ruddy huge hex to undo.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

Because the majority of heating/plumbing systems I've encountered are a mix of different sizes and it's a total pain in the bollocks to keep swapping spanners and likely not have with you the one you really need. If you have a couple of good -quality adjustables, it's not really a problem.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Am I the only fan of the speed wrench?

Reply to
metric_trade

on.

I had a few similar things in my plumbing kit, but found there was rarely a case where I reached for them. Took them out recently to save lugging them about!

Reply to
John Rumm

I need to do that with my screwdrivers. I bought a decent quality mixed set of screwdrivers a few years ago, but only seem to use one of the cross-heads and two of the flats.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

Smooth jaw adjustable lockable spanners are used by many.

The reason they inappropriate tools it that they know no better. Many do not like carrying lots of tools. Adjustable are multi-fit. The torque on most gas and water pipe fittings is low.

It is when they use serrated jawed water pump pliers on everything that the real cowboy emerges.

The need to use the knipex pliers:

?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1325094571&sr=1-18These are ideal for plumbing. But the cowboys have never even heard of them.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in news:k5fhb8$4ks$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Agreed - these look really good.(OP)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The jaws are smooth, parallel and lock in. It is also on a ratchet which is essential to undo nuts quickly. I have a pair, not cheap at approx £50, but worth every penny. I use them for many tasks, even on cars. It means a travelling fitter can do away with many tool to carry - and try to find in a large heavy box. It can do away with a whole socket set box. The jaws also open out to very wide depending on which model you buy.

Lockable Stanley smooth jaws are also essential, as some one stated. They give you a third hand. There is no need to use serrated water-pump pliers which domestic pipe fitters use to destroy fittings and nuts. These are meant to be used for gripping iron pipes, gripping hot items etc, NOT doing up nuts and fittings.

Decent boiler repair men have small socket sets with the long swivel attachments to get to nuts and controls at the back of boilers etc. They also have small battery drivers to take out long machine screws quickly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Decent plumbing tools are horrendously expensive for what they are . Motor tools are very well priced in comparison. A pair of Knipex pliers is about £50, yet look at what £50 will get you in a socket set. But the Knipex does away with most of the socket set and can open to widths the sockets can't look at..

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Stunned... dribble has said something that makes sense for once!

(Knipex VDE electrical tools are very nice as well)

So I guess you don't have a pair nestling next to your hacksaw then...

Reply to
John Rumm

You wouldn't know what is sense or not sense.

You must read dear Chav. He is from Essex you know.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Go to Youtube and type in the search "pliers wrench" and lots comes up with demos.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel