Plastic wall sheet for shower

I am having a new shower put in andrather than tile the internal walls I wondered if its possible to get plastic sheet panels to stick to the wall to provide a waterproof covering and if so who might supply them. Thanks for any help

Steve

Reply to
steve.jones

I think B&Q do these but they do look a bit cheap - I would only use these myself for rental accommodation really.

Reply to
justcalledfubar

Jewsons do a nice thick green tarp, maybe 50 quid to cover the average bathroom.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Plastic panels are available but I've not seen a nice one yet. Take a look at Mermaid panels. They are 10mm thick faced plywood designed for shower walls. Eye wateringly expensive but really nice.

Reply to
Calvin

They are available, they always look vile. Most builder's merchants will have details, I think one make is Aquapanel. TBH, given the (lack of) difference in price between plastic panels and tiles I would go for tiles. In fact we did, several times over. The current bathroom has a shower built in WBP plywood, sealed with epoxy resin and tiled with marble tiles. The tiles were intended for flooring and they are very large and quick to fit (less than a day to do the job). They also cost less than the plumber's offering of plastic panels because they were bought as a job lot from a tile merchant (left over packs of tiles, not enough to cover the floor of most rooms).

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have done 2 shower rooms in my place this way ... I used RESPATEX ... it is not cheap, comes out about same price as good tiles+adhesive+grout.

It is wasteful (or was for me) as you end up looking for pieces of the t&g joint ...and you always seem to have all of one type and none of the other. Respatex is a very high quality ply (much more plys than normal) with a laminate film on show face and a phenolic balancing flim on reverse.

It is very strong ... using offcuts as shelves in the garage !

You can find Respatex on line.

If you want a much cheaper solution you can buy an all plastic sheet in B&Q ... but it has no strength, can make attachment of fixings a problem ... and does not look anywhere near as good - but your choice.

or do a search on Google for "waterproof bathroom panels" it returns

14,200 hits.
Reply to
Rick

No, that's a mineral-based board which needs to be tiled onto.

David

Reply to
Lobster